    camera shop for lens cleaning. However the lens seems to have a slight sheen
    and discolouration. Can I do more to give it a good clean?

    Phil

    Phil, Jan 18, 2004

  2. Phil

    ? Guest

    Deep six the hairy brush and if the cloth is one made of micro fibre use it
    along with a cleaning fluid made for anti reflective glasses. And don't
    worry about the sheen as you can end up cleaning the coating right off of
    the lens.
    Don't forget a speck of dust on the surface of the lens can not be focused
    on, and with the exception of one that would produce a large amount of flare
    does no harm.

    ?, Jan 18, 2004

  3. Phil

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Yup. Ruin the lens. That "slight sheen and discolouration" might
    well be an anti-reflective coating. Stripping it off would do bad
    things for the optical quality.

    Ray Fischer, Jan 18, 2004
  4. Phil

    KenP Guest

    Lens coatings may be a great deal tougher than you think. If you've
    ever deliberately tried to remove the antireflective coating from a
    lens, you'll know just how tough they are. For cleaning lenses, I've
    always had best luck with Kodak lens cleaning fluid. My pint bottle
    will last several lifetimes, and it must be available in more
    reasonable quantities. It has the advantage of leaving no residue, so
    your coating can do the job it's intended to do. Just be careful not
    to use so much that it seeps into the lens mount, use it sparingly.

    KenP, Jan 19, 2004
  5. Phil

    Phil Guest

    I guess I will have to get some fluid to make a better job. I am so far from
    a camera shop I was hoping to not have the trip.

    Phil

    Phil, Jan 19, 2004
  6. Phil

    Dave Guest

    If your using a micro-fiber lens cloth (3M) all you should have to do is fog
    the lens a little and wipe it off. I've never seen them leave any kind of
    residue, and have never had to use lens cleaner unless something really
    nasty has dried on it.

    Dave

    Dave, Jan 19, 2004
  7. Phil

    Jimmy Guest

    For difficult cleaning, Formula MC, a micro-cloth, and a light touch works very well. I found
    Formula MC does a great job on multi-coated filters.

    Jimmy, Jan 19, 2004
  8. Absolutely. I have seen one of my mc filters get messed up badly with
    Kodak lens fluid. And it wasn't a cheapo either. Formula MC came to
    the rescue and have used it ever since, on everything. LCD screen,
    everything.

    When I don't need to use the liquid, the micro cloth and breathing on
    the lens first does a great job, as you mention.

    Sharon Everett

    Sharon Everett, Jan 19, 2004
  9. Phil

    Rudy Garcia Guest

    Rudy Garcia, Jan 20, 2004
  10. Phil

    Jaimie Guest

    Hey,

    There's this cleaning liquid called "ROR." Leica recommends it, which
    I don't take lightly. Not sure where you can find it, but in my
    experience it cleans everything and hasn't damaged anything for us
    yet.

    Jaimie
    http://www.camerarepair.com

    Jaimie, Jan 20, 2004
  11. Phil

    Jimmy Guest

    Sharon Everett, Jan 20, 2004
  13. Phil

    KBob Guest

    Kodak Lens Cleaner should never cause a problem for coated lenses
    unless it becomes contaminated. It may also be that a very old bottle
    of it could grow bad things, especially if it's in a plastic
    container. I've used it on a very extensive collection of Nikkor
    lenses, including the huge teles, and have never found anything
    better. It may well be that Formula MC is an easier or better product
    to use, but I've been satisfied with the KLC stuff!

    KBob, Jan 21, 2004
  14. Phil

    blackgold Guest

    Yup, Kodak lens cleaner wiped away my lens coating! That was years ago. I
    wonder if it's still true.

    blackgold, Jan 21, 2004
  15. Phil

    Jim White Guest

    I hope you get this, Phil:
    Be *very* careful about trying to remove the colouring from the front of
    your lens: without looking, I'd say it was probably the coating, which gives
    your lens the contrast and helps sharpness.
    Take the camera to your camera shop and ask them to have a look.

    Jim

    Jim White, Jan 29, 2004
  16. Phil

    Jeremy Guest

    That sounds like the multicoating on the lens. That is not bad--it is
    supposed to look that way. DON'T try to remove it--you would ruin your
    lens.

    Jeremy, Jan 29, 2004