    "servicing"? He said most people never service their cameras and they
    often live to regret it. Any thoughts?

    MIFrost

    sfrost2, Mar 11, 2005

  2. sfrost2

    bob Guest

    The instruction manual for my Coolpix 5000 doesn't say anything about
    cleaning or adjustment.

    Other than cleaning the front of the lens, that is.

    Bob

    bob, Mar 11, 2005

  3. sfrost2

    Charlie Self Guest

    sfro asks:salesman at Best Buy encouraged me to buy a 4 year service agreement
    (about $50) because it includes free regular cleanings and adjustments
    that he says are very important. There are lenses and alignments that
    should be serviced regularly, he said. One cleaning ($40) almost pays
    for it. Anyway, do these cameras benefit from regular "cleaning" and
    "servicing"? He said most people never service their cameras and they
    often live to regret it.<<

    Twaddle. Typical salesman's bullshit. What lens service are you going
    to get on a CP 4600, fer pete's sake? Cleaning? Get a microfiber cloth
    for about 3 bucks. Use canned air to blow out the card slot every so
    often. That's it. If they're charging 40 bucks for cleaning, they are
    screwing you out of $30. If they charged you 50 bucks for the
    agreement, they screwed you out of 50 bucks.

    Charlie Self, Mar 11, 2005
  4. sfrost2

    sfrost2 Guest

    I suspected as much. It's refundable so there's no real loss. I can get
    my money back. Thanks.

    MIFrost

    sfrost2, Mar 11, 2005

  5. He's half right - "most people never service their cameras" - but the
    rest is bullshit.

    They may have a decent sale price on items like cameras, but never buy
    any accessory or add-on of any kind at BB - no cables, memory cards,
    readers, batteries, cleaning kits, etc. They nail you on the high-markup
    extras.

    Bob(but not that Bob), Mar 11, 2005
  6. sfrost2

    clutch Guest

    www.bestbuysux.org

    You have just been scammed if you bought it (service plan).

    Wes

    clutch, Mar 11, 2005
  7. sfrost2

    clutch Guest

    Do it soon and let us know if you got all of your money back. Did
    hook you into a free trial subscription of sports illustrated on the
    way out?

    Wes

    clutch, Mar 11, 2005
  8. sfrost2

    Jim Guest

    Highly unlikely that you will ever need this service. If it does, you will
    probably find that you can a newer model with even more features for not
    much more that the service.
    Jim

    Jim, Mar 11, 2005
  9. These cleanings and adjustments don't exist. 95% of the time, servicing
    this class of camera consists of throwing it away and getting a new
    one.

    They don't require periodic maintenance, period.

    If, and ONLY if, the service agreement allows for repair or replacment
    of the camera in case of accidental damage, might this be worth while.

    When I ran my camera stores, I paid the sales people a 40% comission on
    extended warranties. They were the single most profitable thing in the
    store.

    Scott Schuckert, Mar 11, 2005
  10. sfrost2

    Peter Resch Guest

    Generally, service contracts are one of the biggest rip-offs there are.
    Statistically, all electronic and most mechanical devices are most likely to fail
    within the first few weeks of use, the failure rate dropping steadily to stabilise
    after a few months.
    After a few years of use the failure rate will gradually start to rise.
    Environment and design factors, maintenance and long term reliability of
    components will determine the ultimate failure of any equipment.
    Normally, a 12 months warranty covers any initial failures so any extended service
    warranty only covers the period when a failure is least likely to occur during the
    equipments life (try getting a service contract on a 10 year old camera).
    There are a few exceptions to this, for example a service contract may be of value
    to a photographer that regularly uses a camera in extreme environments, say in
    dirty, humid and/or very hot locations or where a piece of equipment gets a lot of
    hard use like a photocopier in a school.

    Peter

    Peter Resch, Mar 12, 2005
  11. sfrost2

    Patrick Boch Guest

    You first mistake was going to Best Buy....The second was listening to
    crap...They have no one....With any experience...Been there/worked there...

    Patrick Boch, Mar 12, 2005
  12. sfrost2

    Patrick Boch Guest

    A major part of Best Buy training is selling...Warranty...(PSP).....They
    make a hugh profit off-insecurity...Personally...If you still can..Take it
    back...

    Patrick Boch, Mar 12, 2005
  13. sfrost2

    Sheldon Guest

    They don't require periodic maintenance, period.
    I agree. If the contract is only for periodic maintenance it's crap, as the
    camera you bought doesn't require any maintenance. If the contract covers
    repair or replacement, it would cost you far more than $50 to "repair" your
    camera should something happen. Read the fine print.

    Sheldon, Mar 12, 2005
  14. sfrost2

    Jose Guest

    My thought = very high margin add-on for Best Buy.

    Jose, Mar 13, 2005
  15. sfrost2

    Patrick Boch Guest

    True story about Best Buy Tech service..I worked for them...So this is no
    bull... Yeah with a service contract(PSP) you get free cleaning...On a
    VCR-we would stick a cleaning tape in-With a printer-clean the heads with
    alcohol...Printers do need cleaned-nothing anyone can't do. But I had a
    problem with cleaning a Digital camera(at that time it was a Nikon
    5000...The supervisor stopped by that day...He asked why I didn't clean and
    test that Nikon-5000(They like everything sitting on the finished shelves) I
    simply said, "clean what?, I can wipe it off, that's all." He picked up the
    camera-sprayed it with window cleaner, took a picture..Then said..There its
    cleaned...Mark the work order, cleaned and tested...So would you really want
    to know why people buy a service contract? Ok-Mess your camera up 3
    times-within your contract...Take it back the 4th time...By then a new model
    will be out...And get a new camera/computer/whatever...Dirty=yep/low
    morals=yep/true=sure is....

    Patrick Boch, Mar 17, 2005