    John D Guest

    A poster in this group? Your brother? Your lover?

    Something, surely? :)

    John D, Feb 4, 2009

  2. John D

    John D, Feb 4, 2009

  3. John D

    Leythos Guest

    It was simple enough, no additional details will be provided.

    Leythos, Feb 4, 2009
  4. John D

    John D Guest

    That is your prerogative, of course. Makes me wonder why you mentioned
    someone of that name in the first place. As they say in the UK (in
    Yorkshire) - "There's nowt so queer as folk"! Watch
    for some idea of the accent!

    On a practical note, I can see two messages from me with the identical
    posting time. How can that happen? 04 February 2009 13:00 (GMT)

    John D, Feb 4, 2009
  5. John D

    ~BD~ Guest

    I didn't know that! Thanks, Tim.:)

    ~BD~, Feb 4, 2009
  6. John D

    John D Guest

    How important is that to you, Len?

    I 'Googled' for you and get 583 hits.

    I 'Googled' for BoaterDave and get 4,610 hits

    I win!

    John D, Feb 4, 2009
  7. John D

    Leythos Guest

    Just because you don't know who the person is doesn't mean that others
    in the community don't know the person. You could have just left it
    alone and assumed that you didn't need more information on someone you
    don't know.
    As they say somewhere - you will be given information as needed, you
    appear to have not needed it.
    It happens in Usenet all the time.

    Leythos, Feb 4, 2009
  8. John D

    John D Guest

    I was taught ........ "NEVER ASSUME - CHECK!"

    Appearances can be deceptive, Leythos.

    So I now understand. Thank you

    John D, Feb 4, 2009
  9. John D

    John D Guest

    Hello again Leonard Agoado

    You must have a must have a *much* better computer than me. :-(

    I did the same and this was the result:-

    Results 1 - 10 of about 2,570,000 for bollocks. (0.06 seconds)

    There again, maybe you were telling porky pies, eh? <wink>

    John D, Feb 4, 2009
  10. John D

    ~BD~ Guest

    Newfangled rootkits survive hard disk wiping
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/24/persistent_bios_rootkits/

    HTH

    ~BD~, Mar 25, 2009
  11. John D

    Ari® Guest

    Since, by your admission, it has yet to be developed, you have no clue
    if it would be slower.
    No, it's not possible. Obama's schedule is public, there is no way each
    and every day he is doing so.

    Ari®, Mar 25, 2009
  12. John D

    Ari® Guest

    Point, game, match, Macon.

    Ari®, Mar 28, 2009
  13. John D

    Ari® Guest

    Could you translate that to citations?

    Ari®, Mar 30, 2009
  14. John D

    ~BD~ Guest

    Maybe so - I have no idea! ;)

    The article also refers to "an exploit that hands an attacker unfettered
    root access".

    Perhaps a silly question - if one connects to another server
    deliberately for the purpose of sending and receiving messages in a
    newsgroup (making a hole in one's defences?) might this be giving
    "unfettered root access" if one is operating with Administrator privileges?

    ~BD~, Mar 30, 2009
  15. John D

    Ari® Guest

    Red lights mean stop.

    Are we bonding yet?

    Ari®, Mar 30, 2009
  16. John D

    Unruh Guest

    It is probably now irrelevant. It used to be that there was enough info
    left on the platter that it was possible to recover even after a wipe or
    two. The argument now is that the disk manufacturers want to get as much
    out of the disks as possible, and that remnance after a wipe represents
    redundancy which they are now using to store real data. Ie, the information
    left after even one wipe is miniscule.

    Unruh, Mar 31, 2009
  17. John D

    Ari® Guest

    Go to the source, ask Gutmann. If you only overwrite, you may leave data
    that should have been degaussed.

    Ari®, Apr 1, 2009
  18. John D

    Unruh Guest

    [/QUOTE]
    Sure, ask him. But from what I have read years after his study ( which used
    ancient hard drives) is that modern drives use the magnetic storage on the
    disk far far more efficiently than did the disks he looked at. Ie, the
    redundancy which he used to retrieve the data is not used instead to store
    more data ( that is why disks nwo hold TB, rather than the MB his disks
    held.)

    Unruh, Apr 1, 2009
  19. John D

    Ari® Guest

    Gutmann said his own 35+ rewrite was and is(especially now) overkill.

    Ari®, Apr 2, 2009