Classic ASP + ASP.NET 2.0 on Windows Server 2003 64 bit: possible?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by thehobbit, Nov 22, 2006.

  1. thehobbit

    thehobbit Guest

    Hello,
    I have got a Windows Server 2003 64 bit that is running a Classic ASP
    application.
    The application uses COM objects (AspUpload, ChartDirector, just to
    mention a few).

    The IIS web site with the existing Classic ASP application is slowly
    migrating into ASP.NET 2.0 but in the meantime the two applications
    need to coexist.
    Everything works perfectly in the development environment (32 bit) but
    now that we are going into production a number of questions (and
    problems) arise.

    1) How can I tell if IIS is running in 32 bit or 64 bit mode?

    2) Is it possible to have a Classic ASP application running in 64 bit
    mode?

    3) If 2) is possible, what happens with the COM components? Do I need a
    64 bit version or the 32 bit version will work?

    4) If 2) is not possible, will the only solution be to run both
    portions of the application (Classic ASP and ASP.NET 2.0) in 32 bit
    mode or it is possible to have Classic ASP in 32 bit mode and ASP.NET
    2.0 in 64 bit mode (same server, same website)?
    Quoting from
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...IIS/13f991a5-45eb-496c-8618-2179c3753bb0.mspx

    "On 64-bit Windows, the World Wide Web Publishing service does not
    support running 32-bit and 64-bit worker processes concurrently on the
    same server."
    This is probably the answer.

    I have tried a few configurations, i.e. activating the ASP.NET 2.0 64
    bit following the guide at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894435
    but the result was that the Classic ASP application was not working at
    all, or trying to create an instance of a COM object resulted in an
    error.

    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Paolo