Claim: Microlenses on sensors render f1.0 and faster lenses as slowas f1.4 lenses

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Mar 22, 2012.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Mar 22, 2012

  2. Re: Claim: Microlenses on sensors render f1.0 and faster lenses as slow as f1.4 lenses

    "RichA" <> wrote in message
    > So it's a waste spending $1000+ on an f1.0 lens. The claim is broad-
    > brush, ignoring lens f.l. and ray incidence differences. I've shot
    > with lenses as fast as f0.75 and they are faster than f1.4 though
    > maybe not as fast as they should be.
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/133967991
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/120231796

    Shouldn't you be comparing T/numbers, not f/numbers?

    Makes my simple 35 mm f/1.8 seem even better value for money! <G>
    Certainly a lot more compact.

    http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/nikon_35_1p8g_n15

    David

    David J Taylor, Mar 23, 2012

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Re: Claim: Microlenses on sensors render f1.0 and faster lenses asslow as f1.4 lenses

    On Mar 23, 1:20 am, "David J Taylor" <david-
    > wrote:
    > "RichA" <> wrote in message

    > > So it's a waste spending $1000+ on an f1.0 lens.   The claim is broad-
    > > brush, ignoring lens f.l. and ray incidence differences.  I've shot
    > > with lenses as fast as f0.75 and they are faster than f1.4 though
    > > maybe not as fast as they should be.

    > >http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/133967991

    > >http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/120231796

    > Shouldn't you be comparing T/numbers, not f/numbers?

    Probably. This was a claim I ran across and like all such claims
    needs experimentation to verify.
    In fact, T-stops should take the place of f-stops but that's a
    professional tool thing and it will never filter down to the
    psychedelic realm of claims for consumer cameras.

    RichA, Mar 23, 2012