    That does not fit the description of what happened. If the
    handicapped person was the driver, there would have been even less
    reason to not move the car.

    Paul Rubin, Jan 14, 2006

  2. Bob

    Jim Redelfs Guest

    The OTHER airplanes would have also crashed BEFORE reaching their target.
    The REAL kicker is that we're probably DISTRACTING some agent of the NSA, CIA,
    FBI, LMNOP or other TLA by just DISCUSSING such sh*t.

    <sigh>
    JR

    Jim Redelfs, Jan 14, 2006

  3. Bob

    Jim Redelfs Guest

    [/QUOTE]
    Oh, at least. We would also likely gather and inter all men between the ages
    of 16 and 45 years of age that have ANY physical appearance that indicate they
    MAY be of middle eastern descent.

    (It's a JOKE, kind sir.)

    The <ahem> DISCRIMINATION against a particular segment of society during times
    of crisis is not without precedent. That doesn't make it RIGHT, it is simply
    a statement of fact.

    At the dawn of only the third millennium, our society today includes most
    populations of the world. Unfortunately, that includes those that prefer and
    even intend to die to make a political statement. As part of that statement,
    when they die, they wish to KILL as many others as possible. This is a very
    unusual tactic not used much since World War II - and THEN they were wearing
    uniforms. We are still having trouble fully understanding such a threat and
    how to PROPERLY deal with it.

    I prefer to see The Beacon of Freedom and Democracy continue to "shine" with
    civil liberties but understand that, since 9/11, some things MUST change.
    Hopefully, of those things that DO change, they are GOOD changes that do not
    TRULY injure many.

    :)
    JR
    (ditto)

    Jim Redelfs, Jan 14, 2006
  4. Bob

    Roger Guest

    Balony.

    It only takes a little practice to fly an airplane. The skill comes
    from knowing how to take off and land.

    They weren't worried about breaking anything so what it they over
    speeded a bit, or pulled a bit too many Gs in some turns.

    Virtually any one who can fly a flight sim can fly an airplane from
    point A to point B. Learn enough about the systems to leave it on AP
    for most of the trip.

    Roger
    Roger

    Roger, Jan 14, 2006
  5. Bob

    Jim Redelfs Guest

    [/QUOTE]

    Amen. Thank-you. My wife and I use those little FRS walkie-talkies.
    Perhaps your reaction to THEIR reaction is unwarranted.

    Given this medium, without SEEING the person deliver them, WORDS alone can
    occasionally give a wrong or excessive impression. "Hate" is relative.

    I "hate it" when I am inconvenienced by another motorist. However, I don't
    "hate" it/them/the situation enough to even "flip 'em off" in the rearview
    mirror, much less roll down the window and make utterances. I drive for a
    living. I *WILL* not allow myself to get CLOSE to anything remotely
    resembling "road rage".

    Sir, the vehicle was - and IS - operable. It arrived at its parking spot
    under its own power. Unless the parked vehicle has BROKEN DOWN, after all
    prompt and judicious loading and unloading of passengers or freight is
    complete, the vehicle should be moved.
    Crude? Barely. Hateful? Hopefully (and probably) not.

    Perhaps your reaction is due in part because you engage in the practice being
    condemned. I don't know and it doesn't matter.

    What a LOT of folks don't know is that most (virtually all?) retailers and
    even other business owners will provide special assistance if asked! ("Hey,
    Joe: Go out to that old man in the red Buick and tell him his wife is ready to
    be picked-up." or "Hey, Rita: Please help these folks get their purchases to
    their car." However, in today's hyper-competitive work environment, whether
    one has the patience to WAIT for the delivery of such added service is unknown.

    Move the car. I love my Canon 20D.

    Jim Redelfs, Jan 14, 2006
  6. Bob

    Jim Redelfs Guest

    Good for you, Steve.

    I'm "normal" and don't like EMPTY handicapped parking stalls. That's simply
    because I'm lazy enough that walking MORE, rather than LESS, to get where I'm
    going is no fun. Does it *REALLY* bother me? Heck, no.

    I would, however, like to see the handicapped camp site at my favorite park
    OCCUPIED (and paid for), after ALL the other sites are occupied during a busy
    weekend, by ANYONE, rather than see it sit unpaid and unused for the entire
    weekend.

    Here's one to think about:

    We made curb cutouts for CARS for over seventy YEARS
    before doing the same for pedestrians or those on wheels.

    :)
    JR

    Jim Redelfs, Jan 14, 2006
  7. Bob

    Jim Redelfs Guest

    Make other arrangements. You do not make exceptions to the rules for yourself
    based on ANYTHING.

    Other arrangements?

    - Call ahead to ensure that assistance will be available.

    - Park as CLOSE to the curb as possible, help the disabled passenger from the
    car and into the business as promptly as possible. Promptly return to the car,
    drive away and park it elsewhere or circle the block(s) until a spot opens up.

    - Quit feeling sorry for yourself and remember that not ALL of society feels
    as though it OWES you much, if anything.

    There are now MYRIAD handicapped accommodations as part of our law. The OLD
    laws about NOT parking improperly remain unchanged. We are ALL required to
    abide by these laws. Then there's "common sense" and The Golden Rule.

    JR

    Jim Redelfs, Jan 14, 2006
  8. Bob

    Jim Redelfs Guest

    That was done AGES ago. It's called The Golden Rule.
    Everything DOES have a rule attached to it.
    Most things have more than one rule attached to them.
    ....and I would HOPE SO. I'm sure I would find the visage of you scratching
    your @$$ quite disturbing.

    <big grin>
    JR

    Jim Redelfs, Jan 14, 2006
  9. Bob

    Jim Redelfs Guest

    What? Driving while black?!? (Parking while black?)
    Noooooo... Not us! (Let's ban all Arabs from flight school!)
    Sheesh!
    :)
    JR

    Jim Redelfs, Jan 14, 2006
  10. Bob

    Jim Redelfs Guest

    [/QUOTE]
    There will always be those that will object to occurrences of racism, bigotry,
    discrimination and profiling, warranted or not.

    Know this: Profiling is a legitimate law enforcement tool
    despite being distasteful to the "more enlightened" among us.
    It doesn't hurt to occasionally remind ourselves of that. The biggest racist
    here is a non-white state senator.
    Aw, I didn't see much of that, Eric.

    Have confidence, man! They can whine and cry all they want but, since they
    usually have the law on their side in discrimination and human rights issues
    (nothing wrong with that), we have NOTHING to worry about as long as WE
    behave, too.

    :)
    JR

    Jim Redelfs, Jan 14, 2006
  11. Amen. Thank-you. My wife and I use those little FRS walkie-talkies.
    Perhaps your reaction to THEIR reaction is unwarranted.

    Given this medium, without SEEING the person deliver them, WORDS alone can
    occasionally give a wrong or excessive impression. "Hate" is relative.[/QUOTE]

    For someone to post that they "hate a$$holes like me" is crude and hateful.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Jan 14, 2006
  12. Bob

    Lionel Guest

    Um yeah, because violating the rights of innocent foreigners of the
    wrong colour &/or accent to prevent them from doing something completely
    harmless does *so much* to prevent terrorism...
    I wonder how you'd react if it'd been your kid or spouse instead of
    someone who could be mistaken for a Middle-Easterner?

    Lionel, Jan 14, 2006
  13. Bob

    Lionel Guest

    It's the standard reason for requiring filming permits in most parts of
    the world.
    Given that Americas Constitution supposedly makes it legal to do things
    like that unless there's some extremely good reason to prevent it, I'd
    certainly hope that the permits aren't just for revenue-raising, or
    legalise harrassment of anyone who "looks funny".

    Lionel, Jan 14, 2006
  14. Bob

    Lionel Guest

    Then they would've been trained in some other country, making the attack
    somewhat more expensive.
    If anyone in INS had bothered to actually read & check up on the suicide
    pilots' immigration paperwork properly, they would've been caught when
    they entered the country in the first place.

    Lionel, Jan 14, 2006
  15. Bob

    Lionel Guest

[...]

    TRULY injure many.[/QUOTE]

    Pfft. "Beacon of Freedom & Democracy" - my ass. When America was at war
    with Japan in WWII, they rounded up everyone they could find who was of
    Japanese descent, or who looked Japanese, & locked them up in
    concentration camps (& we did it in Australia too - I'm not just picking
    on Americans here).

    Lionel, Jan 14, 2006
  16. Bob

    Tony Cooper Guest

    I'm not advocating unnecessary harassment of anyone, but - in the
    interest of accuracy - must point out that foreigners do not have
    rights in this country. The "rights" we commonly refer to are the
    rights of American citizens when in this country. And, conversely,
    Americans are not accorded the rights of the foreign countries they
    visit as guests.

    I'd also point out that the determination of "innocent" is only
    possible *after* some sort of investigations. The "presumed innocent
    until proven guilty" only applies to defendants in criminal court
    cases being heard. There is no presumption of innocence in civil
    cases and no presumption of innocence during the investigation stage.

    Comment has been made that there's no danger involved in filming a
    building when pictures of that building are readily available
    elsewhere. That's nonsense. Stock photos don't provide data about
    security precautions, timetables of guard patrol, and the activities
    of the people with access to the building. A movie of a building
    showing who does what and when does provide information not available
    elsewhere and allows the precautions in place to be analyzed.

    Tony Cooper, Jan 14, 2006
  17. Bob

    Tony Cooper Guest

    I don't know what version of the Constitution you've read, but nothing
    in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights that I've read says anything
    about this.

    Amendment X of the Bill of Rights states:

    "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution,
    nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states
    respectively, or to the people."

    This amendment allows the individual states, and the governmental
    divisions of the state, to pass laws that regulate activities within
    the state.

    Tony Cooper, Jan 14, 2006
  18. Bob

    Bill Funk Guest

    You get a lot of exercise jumping like that, don't you?

    Bill Funk, Jan 14, 2006
  19. Bob

    Bill Funk Guest

    We have all kinds of laws specifically for revenue raising.
    Much as you dislike them, consider the alternative.

    Bill Funk, Jan 14, 2006
  20. Bob

    Lionel Guest

    What, living up to the whole "Freedom" thing that the rest of the world
    hears so much about? It doesn't seem all /that/ bad an alternative.

    Lionel, Jan 14, 2006