    our lives be governed by fear, to that extent the terrorists
    have won.

    ----- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Jan 12, 2006

  2. Bob

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Great story. Full of holes but Hollywood might like it.

    Do you have any idea how many folks are walking around in
    Manhattan every day with video cameras? Being private
    citizens not one has a permit.

    And I for one would oppose any attempt to make them get
    a permit.

    ----- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Jan 12, 2006

  3. Bob

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Well...

    In New York we have two different signs (more actually, but
    this will do). They are "No Parking" and "No Standing".

    No Parking means that you cannot turn off your engine and
    leave the car. But you can stand there if you are in
    your car and are not there for over a few minutes.

    No Standing means just that. You can't even sit in
    the car with the engine running.

    The main idea is to allow traffic flow and to allow
    access by fire engines. Thus to keep a curbside
    lane clear it will contain "No Standing" signs.

    Beyond that a standard New York gimmick is to stand,
    engine running, in front of a fire hydrant. You are,
    of course, duty bound to move should a fire truck come
    by but otherwise it is OK.

    Standing is only for a limited amount of time. You
    *will* be hassled if it looks like you are really
    parked while someone else is shopping.

    But enough. Can we now talk about photography?

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Jan 12, 2006
  4. Bob

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Sure, but my point was not that. It was that NYC cops are
    human and react as humans. They lost a lot of friends that
    day.

    ----- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Jan 12, 2006
  5. Bob

    Paul J Gans Guest

    In New York, if you are going to film in a public place
    using equipment that will impede the flow of pedestrian
    traffic (or blocking a stree) or be a danger of causing
    tripping or whatever, then you need a permit.

    This does NOT include hand-held photography or the use of
    a monopod. It *does* include use of tripods on city
    streets or sidewalks or the use of lights and elaborate
    reflectors that take up space.

    The police do not issue the permit, but some other office
    does. In fact they will aid you if that can be done and
    is needed -- commerical outfits often get streets closed
    for them, etc.

    The police enforce the rules for permits. However, if
    they see you filming with a tripod and no permit they
    may simply ask you to remove it, especially if it is
    blocking a sidewalk. Or they may do nothing at all.

    The rules are really rather sensible and need cause no
    worry at all to the average amateur.

    Professionals have a worse worry. A good number of
    businesses have copywrited their building facades and/or
    store fronts. They do NOT want you using their image
    for commercial purposes without their permission (and
    usually the payment of a fee.)

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Jan 12, 2006
  6. Bob

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Exult?

    ----- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Jan 12, 2006
  7. Bob

    Paul J Gans Guest

    <groan>

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Jan 12, 2006
  8. Bob

    Ryan Robbins Guest

    It is you who is ill-informed. Read the dictionary.

    Ryan Robbins, Jan 12, 2006
  9. Bob

    Paul Rubin Guest

    California Vehicle Code div 1, Words and Phrases Defined:

    463. "Park or parking" shall mean the standing of a vehicle,
    whether occupied or not, otherwise than temporarily for the
    purpose of and while actually engaged in loading or unloading
    merchandise or passengers.

    Added Ch. 1608, Stats. 1961. Effective September 15, 1961.

    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d01/vc463.htm

    Your state may vary.

    Paul Rubin, Jan 12, 2006
  10. Bob

    fishfry Guest

    Where do you draw the line then? Why not just lock everybody up at
    birth? After all, some of those babies might turn out to be terrorists.

    fishfry, Jan 12, 2006
  11. well I'm 6'4", they're welcome to try!

    Mike O'Sullivan, Jan 12, 2006
  12. Bob

    grumpy Guest

    grumpy, Jan 12, 2006
  13. Bob

    Jon Danniken Guest

    I think the main goal would be to lift the standards of travel, while
    seperating the different types of individuals according to their spheres of
    influence.

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, Jan 12, 2006
  14. Per ASAAR:
    Nice!!!!

    (PeteCresswell), Jan 12, 2006
  15. Per Paul J Gans:
    My prediction: FedEx baggage and fly naked. It's the only way...

    (PeteCresswell), Jan 12, 2006
  16. Bob

    Crash Gordon Guest

    I've shot or a/d'd or produced hundreds of tv commercials (long ago) and we
    needed permits up and down the east coast. Even if a podunk town did not
    have an official permit we'd still go talk to city hall folks. It just
    doesn't pay to get tied up on the street when you're pay union wages to
    talent and crew.

    | On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 09:48:40 -0700, "Crash Gordon"
    |
    | >Who knows.
    | >
    | >I do know that when I was in film school 30 years ago in NYC even we, as
    | >students had to get shooting permits...and they were definitely much
    harder
    | >to get after you got caught without one.
    |
    | Which would have been one of the few areas in the country where they
    | were required. Rarely has any city required a permit to film *unless*
    | the filming would prove to be a distraction, or involve a number of
    | people
    |
    | Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
    | (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    | www.rogerhalstead.com

    | >| You have a point, but are you sure?
    | >| Marcel
    | >|
    | >|

    Crash Gordon, Jan 12, 2006
  17. Bob

    Freud Guest

    There's a handy summary of your rights as a photographer in the US
    (compiled by a lawyer) here:
    http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm
    Might be useful if you're ever hassled by a security guard...
    Freud

    Freud, Jan 12, 2006
  18. Bob

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    That is not correct. You cannot wait in a no parking zone.

    http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/motorist/scrintro.html#park
    Oh yeah, that.

    Jeremy Nixon, Jan 12, 2006
  19. Bob

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    The Mayor's Office of Film, Theater, and Broadcasting.
    Not only that, but they will provide you with that help for free.
    The police routinely ignore the "letter" of the law in places where lots
    of tourists take pictures, like Times Square, or around the WTC site when
    the "Towers of Light" display is on. They are quire reasonable about the
    whole thing.

    Jeremy Nixon, Jan 12, 2006
  20. Bob

    eawckyegcy Guest

    Sarcasm is lost on the game engine. If you don't kill the cop beating
    on you, he'll either kill you or you will be busted. Of course, if you
    do kill the cop, you get two wanted stars, and the response from the
    Authorities is ramped up -- actions have consequences. But there are
    solutions to this problem.

    I highly recommend the game: an immersive, incredibly detailed, world.
    The latent cynicism that permeates it adds significantly to the
    enjoyment. I am told that the San Andreas version is even more over
    the top, but haven't tried that one.

    I also recommend the Sony "Play Station Portable" (PSP). In addition
    to this game silliness, it can also serve as a photo viewer given a
    sufficiently large memory card. The display is _excellent_, though the
    image load times are less than remarkable, and the UI Sony came up with
    for the browser is rather awful. Perhaps some day someone will crack
    Sony's idiot hardware and software protections and release better
    firmware. There is hope:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Portable_homebrew

    eawckyegcy, Jan 12, 2006