City sued over limits on photography (article from today's (NJ) Bergen Record)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bob, Jan 11, 2006.

  1. Bob

    cjcampbell Guest

    Put that way, I already know we have fewer freedoms. After all, I am a
    pilot and a flight instructor. Now I have to do background checks on
    some of my students. I have to take a loyalty test (actually a short
    course on aviation security, but it seems like a loyalty test). A lot
    of airspace that was formerly open to me is now closed -- and
    government spokesmen have actually threatened to shoot down aircraft
    that enter that airspace or even get too close (without specifying how
    close too close is, of course). I have to avoid flying over nuclear
    power plants but I am not allowed to know where those power plants are.
    I have to avoid flying over college football games but there is no
    place where I can find out when and where those games are being held
    (no doubt to keep the games from being targeted by terrorists). There
    are all kinds of ridiculous contradictions and new rules.

    But the situation is actually improving, except for the Washington DC
    area. There they have set up an airspace barrier as if they were a
    separate country (confirming what a lot of people have believed for a
    long time anyway, I suppose). For some reason I still cannot fly over
    Disneyland, but I can fly over Universal, Six Flags, and SeaWorld. Most
    of the flight restrictions near Navy bases have been greatly reduced in
    size and effect.

    But I suspect a lot of that is done so they can say, "See, things are
    better than they were" without calling attention to the fact that we
    still have a lot more restrictions than we did before.

    cjcampbell, Jan 25, 2006

  2. Bob

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Unless you have long-range tanks, I think you mean DisneyWorld.
    Check the Jacksonville Sectional Map.

    Tony Cooper, Jan 25, 2006

  3. Bob

    Eric B. Guest

    Hmm... Well I'll give you an example of what I am thinking. I am a strong
    supporter of an American's right to bear arms. However I don't believe that
    we should be able to buy Uzis in gun stores. So I guess "Rambo" would say I
    was a coward and against freedom. :D

    I guess my question is: Do we really want *complete* freedom? To me the
    question is similar to the concept that free speech doesn't give you the
    right to yell "Fire!" in a crowded theatre. I think I have enough freedom
    without having the ability to own an Uzi.

    OTOH what would stop a terrorist from sticking a load of C4 up his ass and
    detonating it? What's next, anal cavity searches to get into Disney World?
    There really is no way to stop a determined terrorist that is willing to die
    for their cause, no matter how many freedoms you take away and how much
    security you add.

    Eric B.

    Eric B., Jan 25, 2006
  4. Bob

    Eric B. Guest

    <Irrelevant ad hominem snipped>

    I don't want *you* to have one either.
    <More ad hominem snipped>

    Unfortunately your remarks about freedom of speech have no bearing on the
    point of discussion, which is about the right to bear arms. However (since
    you brought it up) there are already plenty of limits to freedom of speech.
    Examples that immediately come to mind are treason (as in revealing
    government secrets), slander and libel.

    On another point, why do you keep blathering on about "My Leader"? You don't
    know who I voted for or who I consider my leader. Not only does it tend to
    make you appear dim-witted, but it makes it easier for me to take the moral
    high ground. Play the ball.

    Eric B.

    Eric B., Jan 26, 2006
  5. Bob

    eawckyegcy Guest

    Excuse me, that should be 2006. The article-id is:

    RPvzf.3852$-nyc.rr.com

    eawckyegcy, Jan 26, 2006
  6. Bob

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    Do you want me deciding what you're allowed to have? No? Then you can
    understand that I don't want you deciding what I'm allowed to have.

    Jeremy Nixon, Jan 26, 2006
  7. Bob

    Eric B. Guest

    I don't mind giving up the right to own an Uzi. I don't want anyone to own
    one. What purpose does a law abiding citizen have in owning such a weapon?
    And please don't say hunting.

    Eric B.

    Eric B., Jan 26, 2006
  8. Bob

    cjcampbell Guest

    I mean either one. I actually live in the Puget Sound area.

    cjcampbell, Jan 26, 2006
  9. To kill the bastard who tries to kill you.

    WannabeSomeone, Jan 26, 2006
  10. Bob

    Eric B. Guest

    Well if I was a gangsta rapper this might be a valid point but...

    Eric B.

    Eric B., Jan 26, 2006
  11. Bob

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    And are you equally willing to give up the right to own anything *I* happen
    to not want anyone to own?
    That is an invalid argument. One does not ask "why should this be allowed?"
    One asks "Why should this be disallowed?" What purpose does the government
    have in forbidding owning such a weapon, and does that purpose outweigh the
    right of the people to own one? Going the other route is certainly
    justifying totalitarianism.

    What purpose does a law abiding citizen have with such a weapon? Why
    should it be any of your business, given that they are law abiding,
    and thus will never use it against you if you are, too?

    Jeremy Nixon, Jan 26, 2006
  12. Bob

    eawckyegcy Guest

    Eric B. starts crying:
    If it has nothing to do with owning an Uzi, then why did _you_ connect
    the issues?
    You are ignorant of your own constitution. This explains much.
    You were concerned then, but now claim no concern. Why am I not
    surprised at your intellectual dishonesty?
    Only fools click on tinyurl's, fool.
    And your fascist ideology is, of course, in its best interests.
    Oh the pain of being plonked by a demonstrable idiot. I expect, of
    course, you are lying about it: you have all the same earmarks as our
    resident village idiot Rich. You _love_ being whipped in public.

    eawckyegcy, Jan 26, 2006
  13. What you want me not to have is irrelevant. Why don't you just come
    out and say, "I don't want you to have Freedom."

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

    John A. Stovall, Jan 26, 2006
  14. Bob

    J. Clarke Guest

    If it's not _their_ private property and they don't have permission to be
    there they should not be surprised if the owner or his representative
    questions their presence.

    J. Clarke, Mar 31, 2006