city makes it a law --- online bullying gets you in jail

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by richard, Nov 23, 2007.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    I only caught the end of this news article in which some louisiana city had
    passed a law making it a crime to be the school bully while online. Anyone
    have better details on it?

    Since the time when Bill Clinton was President, this was supposed to be a
    law he, and others, passed as a federal law.

    As they will find out, enforcement is going to be one hell of a mess. As it
    is a city law, they can not enforce the law on a resident of another city,
    let alone a state. The vast majority of online users in chat rooms,
    bulletin boards, and usenet newsgroups is mainly done through anonymity. So
    how is the city going to know when someone within their city violated the
    law?

    Trace the IP you say? Balderdash. The IP only identifies the server. Unlike
    in the TV show, CSI:NY, where we see instant location analysis, including
    wifi users, right down to knowing precisely which of a 100 apartments
    inside a building, just ain't gonna happen in real life. You need a court
    order to get the user's personal information and then there could be
    several users on the same IP.

    I wonder if this city based this law upon that tv show's fantasy?

    Then there is a whole slew of other things that come into play.Obviously
    the law was written by someone was lobbied into it and had no clues as to
    what all was involved.

    An issue of "freedom of speech" might enter into this as well. As you can
    not legally jail somebody for having the legal right to say something.

    I wonder how soon this law will be struck down as being unconstitutional.

    richard, Nov 23, 2007

  2. richard

    Pennywise Guest

    The same town that this low life lives

    Name: Lori Drew
    Address: 2977 Hwy. K #200
    O'Fallon, MO 63368
    Phone: (314) 520-7916
    Fax: (636) 978-2670

    On the chance they try it again I guess.
    http://tinyurl.com/33k7fl

    Pennywise, Nov 23, 2007