ciscoworks lms vs snms

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Jim Chivas, Dec 8, 2003.

  1. Jim Chivas

    Jim Chivas Guest

    Greetings:

    I am looking at purchasing cisco works lms version 2.2. I have seen a
    version of cisco works called snms but it seems to be limited to 20
    devices.

    Does anyone use the snms version or the lms version and can tell me which
    one is better?

    I have also been told the lms product requires much more training. If this
    is correct is the lms version worth the extra purchase cost and the extra
    training?

    Thanks

    Jim

    Jim Chivas, Dec 8, 2003

  2. Jim Chivas

    Brian V Guest

    Jim,
    I work with all the software apps. If you can tell me what you are looking
    to do with it..... I'll tell you what one to get. Can't really recomend one
    without knowing what your looking for. Also, SNMS and LMS are no where near
    being the same software, it's not just a 20 device difference, they both
    contain very different apps. They have a couple commonalities, but thats
    about it.

    -Brian

    Brian V, Dec 8, 2003

  3. Jim Chivas

    Jim Chivas Guest

    : Jim,
    : I work with all the software apps. If you can tell me what you are looking
    : to do with it..... I'll tell you what one to get. Can't really recomend one
    : without knowing what your looking for. Also, SNMS and LMS are no where near
    : being the same software, it's not just a 20 device difference, they both
    : contain very different apps. They have a couple commonalities, but thats
    : about it.

    I want to be able to:

    install new software to my switches.
    manage the ports on these same switches (vlans, etc)
    log errors from these switches

    and probably more features I don't know about.

    I was told with SNMS I would get stuck with the 20 device limit so LMS did
    everything SNMS did plus more.

    Jim

    : -Brian

    : :> Greetings:
    :>
    :> I am looking at purchasing cisco works lms version 2.2. I have seen a
    :> version of cisco works called snms but it seems to be limited to 20
    :> devices.
    :>
    :> Does anyone use the snms version or the lms version and can tell me which
    :> one is better?
    :>
    :> I have also been told the lms product requires much more training. If this
    :> is correct is the lms version worth the extra purchase cost and the extra
    :> training?
    :>
    :> Thanks
    :>
    :> Jim
    :>
    :>
    :>
    :> --

    Jim Chivas, Dec 10, 2003
  4. How many devices are you attempting to "track"? I use some home-grown VB
    apps that work nicely for us. We have @100 devices. I can batch send
    commands, download configs, update software, syslog, etc. Its all done
    through sending the appropriate telnet commands, but it does it in a batch
    method.

    Brad

    Brad Hazelbaker, Dec 10, 2003
  5. Jim Chivas

    Brian V Guest

    Hi Jim,
    If you want error logging with exceptional vlan control then LMS is the
    better package.

    SNMS will do more than 20 devices, it is not physically restricted to only
    20.
    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/wr2k/wrsnms/prodlit/snms_ds.htm

    CiscoView...to me, useless. It's built into most of the devices anyways.
    RME, which they both have is for your configs and your software
    Campus Manager (in LMS) is similar to whats up gold but on some huge
    steroids, there is so much more than it can do.
    Performance Monitor (in LMS) test your links, beat them up, simulate traffic
    accross them, it's a great tool.

    Why don't you try out CWW, there's a 45day trial you can get. It's got the
    Ciscoview, whats up gold and threshold manager.
    It's the cheapest.
    https://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/Software/FormManager/formgenerator.pl?pid=141&fid=406

    If you find you need more, talk to your VAR, I'm sure they can get your
    demo's of the other products. I know I have for my customers.

    Here's a good link for all the platforms.

    Brian V, Dec 11, 2003