    ???

    TIA for any assistance...

    Ray

    Ray, Aug 4, 2005

  2. :I need to get an accurate "available" port (int status = not connected)
    :count on each of 200+ Cisco 2950 switches in our organization. I really
    :would prefer not having to do this manually.

    It must be done manually. Hardly any switches are able to tell the
    difference between having nothing connected (an empty port), or
    having something connected that leads to an unconnected patch panel, or
    having something connected that leads all the way to a device that
    is turned off (or to a NIC that is configured off.)

    Perhaps there are some switches out there with built-in TDR
    that could tell you how much cable are connected to them, but if so
    then it isn't a Cat 2950.

    What might -help- you in your search is to snmpwalk these OIDs:

    ..1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.8 (ifOperStatus -- up or down)
    ..1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2 (ifDescr -- port name)
    ..1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.9 (ifLastChange -- time port status last changed)

    The ifLastChange last change sounds good in theory: after all,
    an unconnected port would be expected to have a change time of
    when it was last connected, whereas a device that is just turned
    off for the day or during someone's holidays would be expected to
    have a change time within the last few hours or weeks. Unfortunately,
    on at least some devices, you will find that the change times make
    little or no sense. You could try, though, as perhaps they are
    sensible on a Cat2950.

    Walter Roberson, Aug 4, 2005

  3. Hi Ray,

    Go to RME/Inventory/Mulitservice portdetails

    Campus Manager > User Tracking to locate unused ports

    You may want to investigate CiscoWorks Resource Manager Essentials -
    End-User Guides:

    http://www.cisco.mn/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps2073/products_user_guide_list.html

    Sincerely,

    Brad Reese