Cisco Wireless APs and Backhauling Question no hardwired option

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by tm, Feb 26, 2007.

  1. tm

    tm Guest

    Hello Group,

    I was looking for everyone's input for the following;

    I am looking at a wireless job for a customer where very few Access
    Points can be hardwired; meaning roughly half, and I was wondering
    what the best way to proceed would be. I have heard of backhauling
    but canot really find any documentation or implementation for it.
    Would the best way to do this involve configuring Cisco 1200 aps with
    an a and g radio installed and then use the a radio for connecting the
    access points together and the g radio for user access. Any
    suggestions would be helpful. This is a multi-floor configuration
    where two access points would be hardwired and feed two non-wired
    access points.

    Thanks,

    TM

    tm, Feb 26, 2007

  2. tm

    Oren Guest

    Hi TM,
    The backhauling you are writing about is called Wireless Mesh
    Networking. This solution can be used only in a CUWN environment (with
    a Wireless Controller and Lightweight APs).
    In your case I think the only solution is configuring the 2 non-wired
    APs as repeaters.

    Best regards,
    Oren.

    כתב:

    Oren, Feb 26, 2007

  3. Hi TM,

    ~ I was looking for everyone's input for the following;
    ~
    ~ I am looking at a wireless job for a customer where very few Access
    ~ Points can be hardwired; meaning roughly half, and I was wondering
    ~ what the best way to proceed would be. I have heard of backhauling
    ~ but canot really find any documentation or implementation for it.
    ~ Would the best way to do this involve configuring Cisco 1200 aps with
    ~ an a and g radio installed and then use the a radio for connecting the
    ~ access points together and the g radio for user access. Any
    ~ suggestions would be helpful. This is a multi-floor configuration
    ~ where two access points would be hardwired and feed two non-wired
    ~ access points.
    ~
    ~ Thanks,
    ~
    ~ TM

    Yeah, assuming that your wireless clients are going to use 802.11b/g and
    not 802.11a, your best bet would be to get some 1240s and use the 11a
    radios for backhaul. The topology will look something like this:

    ======================== hardwired LAN ========================
    | |
    [[11g AP] AP1 [11a root br]] [[11g AP] AP2 [11a root br]]
    / /
    [[11g AP] AP3 [11a nrb]] [[11g AP] AP4 [11a NRB]]

    I.e. you configure all 2.4GHz radios as root APs. The hardwired
    APs will have their 5GHz radios configured as root bridges, and
    the APs that lack hardwired network connections will have their
    5GHz radios configured as nonroot bridges.

    If need be, you can use directional antennas on the 5GHz links.

    Aaron

    Aaron Leonard, Feb 26, 2007
  4. tm

    tm Guest

    Okay that makes sense, Thanks for the input Aaron and Oren.

    tm, Feb 26, 2007