    DP Guest

    When I start up the VPN I seem to drop out of my simple networking workgroup
    I have here at home.

    DP, Feb 24, 2007

  2. DP

    Trendkill Guest

    VPN, or virtual private networking is the equivalent of building a
    tunnel from your pc to the network to which you are connecting. While
    your company (I'm presuming you are connecting to work) does have the
    option to enable 'split tunnels' which would enable you to be a
    'member' of both networks simultaneously, this is usually regarded as
    an audit risk as it allows a user to copy files off of the corporate
    network to their home pcs or nodes.

    That being said, once you VPN in, it is pretty much like sitting at
    your desk in the office, except for slower bandwidth and whatever
    other restrictions your employer sets on VPN connections.

    Hope this helps.

    Trendkill, Feb 24, 2007

  3. DP

    BernieM Guest

    Audit, and security ... by not allowing split tunnelling you remove the risk
    of the pc being compromised while browsing the Internet and providing direct
    access to the corporate network.

    BernieM

    BernieM, Feb 25, 2007
  4. DP

    Trendkill Guest

    Agreed, although I still continue to believe that internal security
    threats are much greater than external. ;-)

    Trendkill, Feb 25, 2007