Cisco VPN client will not stay connected. Help please.

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Sue, Jan 6, 2004.

  1. Sue

    Sue Guest

    I do not know if this is the correct newsgroup to post my question or not,
    but here goes anyway.

    I am trying to connect a Windows 98SE machine to a service via Cisco VPN
    Client V4.0.1 via an ADSL connection.

    I can get connected ok but it only stays connected for 4 to 5 seconds
    maximum. I can ping the IP address of the service I am trying to connect to
    with no problem at all.

    When I check the log it says something like (I am not in front of the PC
    now) Connection disconnected by client. Reason: IP changed from 192.168.0.10
    to 127.0.0.1. But if I check my IP it is set correctly.

    I have reformatted the PC, reinstalled Windows98, reinstalled VPN client and
    I have even replaced the network card. All other network functions work
    perfectly.

    I have another PC on the network also running Win98, it works fine. I have
    tried to emulate the setup but to no avail. Equally, I have tried installing
    it on other PC's on the network and I can not even get it to connect.

    Any help would be most appreciated,

    Thanks in advance,

    Sue

    Sue, Jan 6, 2004

  2. Sue

    Kirk Goins Guest

    The network you are on and the VPN network aren't on the same subnet are
    they?

    Kirk Goins, Jan 6, 2004

  3. Sue

    Rik Bain Guest

    Are you using DHCP? If so try a static address. 4-5 seconds would seem
    like a short DHCP lifetime, but I have seen DHCP renewals diconnect VPN
    client.

    Rik Bain

    Rik Bain, Jan 7, 2004
  4. Sue

    Sue Guest

    Many thanks for your reply Kirk,

    I am afraid I do not know what subnet the other service is on. I have been
    given specific instructions on how to set up the VPN client.

    The subnet mask on our network is I believe a stock standard 255.255.255.0.
    I suspect that it does not matter what subnet mask the other end is using as
    the configuration works perfectly on another system the only difference
    being the main IP address.

    Again, thank you for your reply and I hope the above additional info may
    help.

    Regards,

    Sue

    Sue, Jan 7, 2004
  5. Sue

    Sue Guest

    Thanks for the reply Rik, but all PC's have static IP's

    Thanks

    Sue, Jan 7, 2004