Cisco VPN Client unable to browse domain share.

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Mark Day, Jun 2, 2004.

  1. Mark Day

    Mark Day Guest

    I am trying to browse to a shared folder on our server running Windows 2003
    Std edition over a dial-up Cisco VPN Client link without success !!

    The vpn client is running windows 2000 sp4 and is a member of our local
    domain. When working remotely, I logon to the domain using cached
    credentials. The Cisco VPN client software is version 4.0.4.

    I have been working with a Cisco engineer to correctly configure the router
    for dial-up remote vpn access.When I make my vpn connection, I can ping my
    server by ip or name which to me, indicates that DNS is working OK. The
    router has been configured with the correct ip for our internal DNS and WINS
    server.
    After establishing a connection, when I run ipconfig /all the results seem
    to be correct.

    My problem is that I cannot browse to any networked shared folders in the
    domain, neither can I map a networked drive using net use R: \\server\share
    in the windows
    CLI. I have tried the net use with ip address and FQDN all without success.
    I either get "system error 67 - the network name could not be found " or
    "system error 53 - the network path could not be found"

    Cisco are informing me that the issue is to do with my internal network and
    not router or vpn client configuration. However I'm not entirely convinced.
    I do not know enough about IOS to confirm what they are saying.
    Can anybody give me any pointers that would enable me to share networked
    resources over a Cisco dial-up vpn?

    TIA
    Mark Day.

    Mark Day, Jun 2, 2004

  2. Mark Day

    AnyBody43 Guest

    If the group police think this is too far OT please let me know.

    Caveat - I don't do this with Cisco VPN kit but with Checkpoint.

    Can you ping server by address?
    Can you ping server by name?
    What does net view \\server show?

    We do quite a bit of this and use hosts files in the
    local clients to resolve server names. This is aesthetically
    irritating however we only have between 1 and 3 entries.

    I cannot remember if W2k needs an Lmhosts too or not. I suspect not.

    1.1.1.1 mail-server
    1.1.1.2 file-server

    Also we find it helpful to specify the user name

    net use x: \\server\share /user:domain\username

    We use the undotted domain name.

    If necessary you get prompted for the pasword.

    The whole thing seems to me to be a mess and I don't know anyone
    who has a clue how it all works. Grrrrrrrr!!!!

    I had one recently where everything looked Ok but it wouldn't
    work unless I specified the server by address. However Outlook
    worked with the server specified by name.

    AnyBody43, Jun 3, 2004

  3. Mark Day

    Mark Day Guest

    Can you ping server by address?
    Yes

    Can you ping server by name?
    Yes

    What does net view \\server show?
    system error 67 - the network name could not be found

    Even though we are running WINS, I do have an entry in the clients LMHOSTS
    file to point to our DNS/WINS server!!!

    Any more suggestions???

    Mark Day.

    Mark Day, Jun 3, 2004
  4. Mark Day

    AnyBody43 Guest

    Yes, please bottom post.

    The thing is that I don't kow how much of this works.
    I find that windows name resolution is complex and has been changed
    frequently between windows versions. It is too much for me to
    follow.

    What we do is:
    ALL server names in hosts file AND lmhosts with #PRE
    and if domain controller #DOM too. Check syntax yourself
    this is from memory.
    I just copy "lmhosts hosts".

    I also had a case recently where the dialer interface was not
    enabled for Windows Networking Client (from memory again).
    I do not know if that is necessary it is ALL GUESSWORK.
    The same computer finally worked when I mapped the drive by
    address. Everything was OK, ping by name, exchange, whatever
    but no go.

    If you get "device in use" use "map delete x:" first.
    [OOPS showing my age here, I of course mean "net use x: /delete"]

    AnyBody43, Jun 4, 2004