    the main problems?
    What should we be aware of and of what should we specially take care?

    Thx . . . .

    RM, Aug 14, 2003

  2. RM

    chris Guest

    We went with the Cisco VOIP about a year ago when we built our new
    main building. The decision was based primarily on the fact that we
    were installing all new network equipment and wiring.

    Its very flexible with a lot of features. People really like the
    phones and the speed-dials and other custom services I've written.

    Unfortunately it's higher maintenance than a tradiational PBX. We
    have to reboot the Call Managers once a month or calls start dropping
    due to a memory leak in the Cisco software. The software is also
    based on a Windows 2000 platform and you inherit all of the MS
    stability and security issues.

    As a side note the Blaster worm, despite the MS patch being installed,
    crashed the RPC service on the call manager which kill our phones
    until I rebooted and setup some router ACLs to protect it from the
    attack (from inside our firewall).

    The other main drawback is poor support for modems and fax machines.
    It took a lot of router firmware updates and software updates to get
    faxes reliable. The recent 12.3 IOS update for the router seems to
    have made modems work over 26k.

    In hindsight, I wonder if VOIP is still not mature enough.

    chris, Aug 14, 2003

  3. RM

    Arcaidy Guest

    We have the Call Manager installed. We have about 1300 devices registered on
    it. I'm a data guy, so I can't really compare it with a PBX.
    We have run into a few issues, but that is mainly with other devices
    connected to the Call Manager. Since upgrading to 3.2, a good number of
    those issues have went away.
    All of our VOIP is accross the LAN. We do not have anything across any WAN
    link yet.
    Other than the SQL bug, I haven't had a major issue in the past few months.
    Upgrades can be a bitch.
    Modems do cause issues. New models seem to work alot better than anything a
    few years old. Fax has really turned around since upgrading the code on the
    gateways.
    They work really well now.
    All of our PRI's come into 6608's. We hve looked in to putting VOIP at the
    remote sites and using the 3700 series.
    Most of the issues and down time has come from patching the system
    (Windows..) You're going to have that problem with anything IP based though.
    Just some more than others.

    Arcaidy, Aug 14, 2003
  4. RM

    Arcaidy Guest

    Our fax issues have went away.
    Using the 6624 modules, and the some of the latest code we are working well.
    I am looking into seeing how the ATA's work with fax machines now.

    Arcaidy, Aug 15, 2003
  5. RM

    chris Guest

    Unreliable connections with intermittent call drops, faxes only able
    to negotiate at 2400.

    chris, Aug 16, 2003
  6. RM

    Bob Guest

    Have a look at Mitel MN3300 its the most feature rich PBX on the market.
    Probably a lot cheaper compared to cisco as well.

    www.mitel.com

    Bob, Aug 26, 2003
  7. RM

    DPGumby Guest

    This is an interesting original post, in that its kind of a common question,
    but why would anyone assume or ask if VoIP is ready for prime time based
    only on the fact that they had problems with their Cisco. Thats like buying
    a 2004 car getting a lemon and then saying all 2004 cars must be bad. Cisco
    ain't the only choice out there. Throw off those shackles of the IT
    mentality that Cisco is some kind of god, embrace the telecom side and
    expand your horizons.

    DPGumby, Aug 27, 2003
  8. RM

    RM Guest

    I will probably go with Cisco, anyhow :)
    Majority of my net equipment is Cisco, people have Cisco certificates, are
    used to Cisco and his good or bad sides . . . . . If we move to another
    supplyer of IPtel it will defiatelly be a problem and generate more problems
    in the future use.

    So I will probably go with Cisco, but I would just like to know what could
    be the problems in the future and how to approach them . . . .

    RM, Aug 27, 2003
  9. RM

    DPGumby Guest

    Whatever you want its your network, but I think it short sighted to just
    assume "gee we got Cisco stuff so things will just go better if we stay all
    Cisco".

    DPGumby, Aug 28, 2003
  10. RM

    RM Guest

    I definatelly think that way . . . . maybe with that "gee" word also :)

    RM, Aug 28, 2003