Cisco Switch Question

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by GlenM, Oct 18, 2011.

  1. GlenM

    GlenM Guest

    Hi There;

    I inherited a Cisco 3550 Series Switch (WS-C3550-24-SMI) - I won't
    pretend to know IOS very well, but is version 12.2(35)SE.

    I am attempting to create some VLANs on it, however, I see interfaces
    on the switch called Vlan10, Vlan20, Vlan30, etc.

    When I attempt to create a vlan, it seems to give me some conflicting
    information.

    Example - I want to assign the FastEthernet port 2-6 to a vlan, I
    create vlan 30, assign it IP information, and it assigns it to Vlan30
    ( see what I mean?)

    Perhaps, the best way for me to go is to reset this thing back to
    factory default.

    Perhaps someone has a better way, I can pastebin my 'show running
    config' if need be.

    Thanks

    Glen

    GlenM, Oct 18, 2011

  2. Did you want to run the switch at layer 2 or layer 3 VLANs?
    Thats probably the source of difficulty..

    The layer-2 VLAN creation is through the top level 'vlan' command.

    Ie.

    vlan 10,20,30

    Assign a port to vlan 30

    interface FastEthernet 0/5
    switchport access vlan 30

    Do you want layer 3 or layer-2?

    You don't need to assign 'interface Vlan 30' any IP address info if
    you don't need layer-3 routing.

    Probably describe what you want to do, and what you have now with the
    important config bits. Ie. the 'vlan' command, the 'interface' commands..

    Doug McIntyre, Oct 18, 2011

  3. GlenM

    GlenM Guest

    Hi - thank you for responding.

    I am not certain if I want layer 2 or 3 vlans - I will have to look up
    the difference. Like I said, I am a little new at this and it is
    starting to come together.

    So far, besides the price, there is not much that I *don't * like
    about Cisco Switches and Routers.

    I will go over my commands and get back to you - probably tomorrow.

    Glen

    I will get back to you

    GlenM, Oct 19, 2011
  4. GlenM

    GlenM Guest

    Hi;

    Thanks for your assistance.

    Apparently, I just needed to sit down and actually study what a VLAN
    actually is. Now that I understand what the hell I am doing, it made
    things much clearer.

    To answer your question, I was creating layer 2 VLANs. More or less
    just separating two things - client and video.

    It seems to work very well.

    Thank you for responding.

    Glen

    GlenM, Oct 20, 2011