Cisco SIP T.38 fax failing (Cisco sends to wrong port)

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Greg, Oct 17, 2005.

  1. Greg

    Greg Guest

    I am seeing issues with Cisco IOS 12.3(13) on a 5300. I use SIP to try
    to negotiate a T.38 fax relay session with my equipment.

    The call starts as a voice call and Cisco will be sending RTP packets
    to the correct RTP/UDP port number. Then as we enter fax mode, the
    re-invite process completes and looks fine. My end sends Cisco the new
    T.38 port number to use for T.38 packets (it is RTP port plus 2).
    Cisco ACKs this, but when Cisco starts to send T.38 packets it is
    sending them to my RTP port instead of my T.38 port. There are some
    times when I will start sending T.38 packets from my T.38 port to the
    correct Cisco T.38 port (Cisco uses the same port number for RTP and
    T.38), and Cisco will see these packets and switch to start sending
    it's T.38 to my correct T.38 port. Many times Cisco will never switch
    no matter what I send it, and the fax will fail. It would be best for
    me if Cisco would start sending T.38 to the negotiated T.38 port
    immediately after the re-invite process ends.

    Using the same Cisco box for H.323 calls, the Cisco will send T.38
    packets to the Correct T.38 port immediately, so it will use the T.38
    port that it got via H.323 signaling and not depend on any RTP or T.38
    packets coming in to make it switch.

    I assume that this is a bug in SIP with 12.3 IOS. Is anybody else
    seeing this?

    Also, if you know of any other forums where I might get this question
    answered, I'd appreciate it.

    Thanks,

    -Greg

    Greg, Oct 17, 2005

  2. Greg

    Greg Guest

    This has turned out to be an issue only when the AS5300 has Symmetrical
    NAT support enabled. This is the case on IOS builds 12.3(13), 12.3(16)
    and 12.3(15b).

    Greg, Oct 20, 2005