cisco router: 'Warning during size main memory test'

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by tg, Feb 4, 2009.

  1. tg

    tg Guest

    cisco 2651XM router
    I have 256Mb ram (two sticks of 128Mb) in this router, but when it
    starts up the console says:
    ------------
    System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r) [cmong 7r], RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Copyright (C) 2002 by cisco Systems, Inc.

    *** Warning during size main memory test,
    expected bus error does not occur above 128 mb of main memory
    C2600 platform with 131072 Kbytes of main memory.
    --------------
    I swapped some good tested memory from another 2651xm (2 x 128Mb sticks)
    router but I still got the above error. Does this mean the board is
    faulty?
    if I only use one stick of 128mb the router boots fine with no errors,
    and I can use either slot, but it's when both slots are used I get the
    error. Swapping the sticks around made no difference. Is there any kind
    of major reset one can do of the mainboard?
    thanks for any advice.

    tg, Feb 4, 2009

  2. tg

    bod43 Guest

    It would appear that the software might be expecting at most
    128M but there is more.

    <Lets try searching cisco:>
    [2651XM maximum memory]

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps259/prod_bulletin0900aecd801e3d53.html

    "support memory increases to 256 MB of DRAM (with the correct ROM
    monitor [ROMmon]). "

    Looks like you may need to change your rommon, however
    I have not read all of the details and you should check yourself.

    bod43, Feb 4, 2009

  3. tg

    tg Guest

    thanks for your response and the cisco link bod43, I will check the
    rommon thing and I hope it is that

    tg, Feb 5, 2009
  4. Extremely few 26xxXM routers shipped with the 256M capable BootROM. It
    was almost always a later addon. The chip isn't in circuit flashable,
    it is a physical chip swap. MemoryX has them.

    Doug McIntyre, Feb 5, 2009
  5. tg

    tg Guest

    ok Doug thanks for your response and I'm glad to hear it's probably the
    rom chip. I'm waiting for a rom removal tool to arrive and then I'll
    swap it with a known good 256mb-capable chip and see.

    tg, Feb 7, 2009
  6. tg

    zaherhamiyah

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    did it work for you?

    Hi tg,

    i want to check did it work for you when you upgraded the rommon?

    Thanks.

    zaherhamiyah, Oct 5, 2009