Cisco router to replace my netgear

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Thomas75, Mar 17, 2008.

  1. Thomas75

    Thomas75 Guest

    what configuration do I need to put in?

    My router 2621 has two fastethernet interface. One will be connected
    to cable modem Fe0/0
    and the other switch. (fe0/1)

    I learned that I need to put int "ip address dhcp" on fe0/0
    and what else?

    to make my other PCs to go to internet through Cisco?

    I would need to configure dns and default gate way, right?

    when cisco obtain address through dhcp, does it also get

    dns and dhcp address? If yes, where do I find it?

    If there's any guide on cisco site, please let me know the link

    Thanks

    -Thomas

    Thomas75, Mar 17, 2008

  2. Okay, so more specs about what you want to do, thats good.

    Cisco doesn't come preset to one fixed configuration, thus you end up
    with a hammer and a pile of lumber, not a pre-fab kit house that only
    fits together one way. Thus you can build anything from a small doghouse
    up to a mansion with it, not limited by what somebody else had in mind.

    You most likely want to setup NAT/PAT with a DHCP server, and possibly
    some firewall filtering.

    Here's a good tech note about another cisco router model that is doing
    pretty much what you want to do.

    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/109/router_behind_cm_19268.shtml

    You'll want to watch out for the default route (ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0)
    in the tech note, there's a few other ways to do that too.

    Doug McIntyre, Mar 17, 2008