    Which router should I buy?

    Thanks..

    Tobias

    Tobias Kritten, Jan 15, 2004

  2. Tobias Kritten

    A. Andrews Guest

    a 2514 of Ebay would be nice, and it would have to Eths

    A. Andrews, Jan 16, 2004

  3. a 2514 of Ebay would be nice, and it would have to Eths

    hmm.. I thought of a cheaper one because I'm 15 years old and I haven't so
    much money.. The Router needn't have a web interface and so on.. One
    interface for ADSL and one for ethernet should be enough...

    Tobias Kritten, Jan 16, 2004
  4. The 2514 would be as cheap as they come in cisco routers, and even for
    NAT on a 1.5mbit ISP connection it might be slow. One thing, for
    pppoe, you need at least IOS version 12.2T (standard 12.2 or 12.3 will
    not do pppoe) for things to work, and there was one rare version for
    the 2500 routers requiring 16MB ram and 16MB flash. A slightly more
    expensive solution might be 1605 or one of the 1700 routers but be
    sure the IOS supports what you need.

    Another option is 826 or 827 cisco. They have a DSL modem built in,
    and Ive used them but never configured them. Most students start out
    with 2500 routers like me and try hard to get them to interface with
    their ISPs. I have 8 routers and not one does pppoe, so I'll be
    changing ISPs and getting static IP pretty soon. I suggest you do the
    same rather than going for the exotic 800 series which might not
    support many standard features. If its just a router you need not
    necessarily with 2 ethernet ports, get a 2501. It can cost around
    60EUR or less on eBay.

    Getting a lab even for CCNP is extremely expensive. Keep a close eye
    on eBay.

    Ghazan Haider, Jan 19, 2004