Cisco PIX 515E - Proxy ARP?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Illusion, Jul 23, 2003.

  1. Illusion

    Illusion Guest

    Hi,

    I am currently configuring a PIX 515E to replace our Linux/IPTables based
    firewall. This is my first experience with a PIX. On our Linux Firewall I
    have 3 NIC's, 1 connected to external router, 1 into DMZ switch and 1 into
    the internal network.

    On our Linux box I assigned an IP from our external subnet, say
    100.100.100.86/29 for example to both the external NIC and the DMZ NIC. Then
    I would delete the 100.100.100.80/29 route on the external NIC and add a
    route on the external NIC such as:

    route add 100.100.100.81 dev eth2 <.81 is the Internet router>

    So the external NIC knows how to get to our Internet router, the DMZ NIC
    knows that the DMZ subnet hangs off it. Then I enable Proxy ARP so that the
    external NIC answers ARP requests for the DMZ IP's so that the Internet
    router can communicate with them.

    I've hit a wall with the PIX at the moment as it does not seem to like me
    assigning the same IP address/subnet to more than 1 ethernet port.

    If anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated.

    TIA, Dan

    Illusion, Jul 23, 2003