    davidbrant Guest

    Cisco PIX 506E hangs during boot. This is as far as it gets:

    CISCO SYSTEMS PIX FIREWALL
    Embedded BIOS Version 4.3.207 01/02/02 16:12:22.73
    Compiled by morlee
    32 MB RAM

    PCI Device Table.
    Bus Dev Func VendID DevID Class Irq
    00 00 00 8086 7192 Host Bridge
    00 07 00 8086 7110 ISA Bridge
    00 07 01 8086 7111 IDE Controller
    00 07 02 8086 7112 Serial Bus 9
    00 07 03 8086 7113 PCI Bridge
    00 0D 00 8086 1209 Ethernet 11
    00 0E 00 8086 1209 Ethernet 10

    Any suggesstions?

    davidbrant, Mar 1, 2006

  2. davidbrant

    davidbrant Guest

    I can get to the "Testing Mode Menu" by pressing ESC before it hangs.
    All tests pass:

    Numeric Coprocessor: Passed.
    Protected Mode Test: Passed.
    Low Memory Test: Passed.
    Extended Memory Test: Passed.

    But if I continue the boot process, it hangs at the same place as
    before.

    davidbrant, Mar 1, 2006

  3. i've a few 506e with the same problem, try the following

    open the pix, in the middle of the mainboard there is a jumper, set it to
    the other position, and boot it again

    please let me know if it solves your problem!

    p.s.anybody know's where the switch is???

    kind regard

    Richard Kraal

    Richard Kraal, Mar 2, 2006
  4. davidbrant

    felenskool

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    It worked!

    Wow dude... how did you know that?

    I had a PIX with the same problem and I had the case open trying to blow off the dust off of the heatsink, thinking it might be an overheating issue.

    But I came across your post and did what you said... presto!

    Thanks for sharing!

    -DV

    felenskool, Sep 21, 2007
  5. davidbrant

    berkeleycowboy

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    The solution worked for me also

    I experineced the same problem after a power outage.

    Toggling the jumper settings resolved my probelm.

    I wish I figure out what the magic jumper is suppose to do.

    berkeleycowboy, Jun 16, 2008
  6. davidbrant

    MiamiGunrunner

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Still works

    This worked great. I signed up just to say thanks. I found this solution via google search and appreciated it. So thanks for the help. Maybe one day someone will post what that jumper does. :)

    MiamiGunrunner, Nov 30, 2011