Cisco PIX 506E and Internet based e-mail

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Tom Porter, Apr 5, 2004.

  1. Tom Porter

    Tom Porter Guest

    All,

    I am having problems with some web based e-mail servers through our PIX
    firewall,
    all other websites seem to work fine.

    The main website in question is https://webmail.rogers.com/
    where we often get a "page cannot be displayed error message."
    This error message will appear immediately or sometimes while
    checking e-mails. I have tried other websites that use https connections
    such as various banks but they do not have the same problem. Just web based
    e-mail servers.

    This website works fine from everyone's home computers and our internal
    computers if you connect them directly to the internet.

    We are using a Cisco PIX 506E firewall with a NAT setup.

    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated....

    Thanks,

    Tom

    Tom Porter, Apr 5, 2004

  2. :I am having problems with some web based e-mail servers through our PIX
    :firewall,
    :all other websites seem to work fine.

    Do you have a valid "reverse DNS" (PTR record) for the IP address that
    you are NAT'ing to? If not, then getting that fixed will probably help.

    Walter Roberson, Apr 5, 2004

  3. Tom Porter

    Tom Porter Guest

    The web server is not local, it belongs to a separate ISP.
    I have been hearing about problems with the PIX firewalls
    and long address names in Internet Explorer. Does anyone
    know run into problems with web pages not displaying in
    Interent Explorer due to long address names?

    Thanks....

    Tom Porter, Apr 18, 2004
  4. ||> In article <>,
    |> :I am having problems with some web based e-mail servers through our PIX
    |> :firewall,
    |> :all other websites seem to work fine.

    |> Do you have a valid "reverse DNS" (PTR record) for the IP address that
    |> you are NAT'ing to? If not, then getting that fixed will probably help.

    |The web server is not local, it belongs to a separate ISP.

    You must have misunderstood me. I'm referring to reverse DNS for
    the outside address of YOUR PIX (or, more correctly, for whichever
    IP address you are using in your global (outside) statements.)
    If that IP address does not have reverse DNS, then you can have problems.

    :I have been hearing about problems with the PIX firewalls
    :and long address names in Internet Explorer. Does anyone
    :know run into problems with web pages not displaying in
    :Interent Explorer due to long address names?

    I have not heard of a problem along those lines, but I'm not always
    the first to hear about such things ;-)

    I can say that we have never noticed that kind of problem with
    our PIX 525 running 6.3(3) [or any of the earlier software versions
    we used.] But if you care to indicate a particular address, then
    I could check and see how it goes with our equipment.

    Walter Roberson, Apr 18, 2004