Cisco PIX 501 using pptp to connect to cisco vpn 3005 concentrator

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Kai, May 14, 2004.

  1. Kai

    Kai Guest

    Hello all,

    I got a question concerning pptp between cisco pix 501 and cisco 3005
    concentrator.
    The secenario is the following:

    one small lan with the pix as default gateway. the pix connected to
    the dsl router and this is connected to the internet.
    vpn pass through is enabled on the router.
    we want the pix to connect to our cisco concentrator using pptp.
    means we have no public addresse for the pix like we use it for
    lan-to-lan connections. the pix should behave like a "normal" windows
    client connection via vpn to a network.

    Has anyone a configuration example and the main part is does it work
    with the pix?

    Thanks for your help.

    Kai

    Kai, May 14, 2004

  2. :I got a question concerning pptp between cisco pix 501 and cisco 3005
    :concentrator.

    PIX will not act as PPTP clients, only as PPTP servers.

    Reference:
    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/pix/pix_sw/v_63/cmdref/tz.htm#wp1083965

    Note The PIX Firewall is a PPTP and L2TP Server and a PPPoE client.
    [...]
    PPTP is an alternative to IPSec handling for VPN clients or Easy
    VPN Remote devices. While PPTP is less secure than IPSec, PPTP is
    easier to implement and maintain. Only inbound PPTP connections
    are supported and only one PIX Firewall interface can have the
    vpdn command enabled.

    Walter Roberson, May 14, 2004