    Please wait....".

    I really would not prefer to do everything via telnet.

    Thanks

    ryan_s1111, Jul 13, 2005

  2. There is a bug in the PDM software that does this. I was able to access
    PDM from a fresh install of WIN98 that didn't change the JAVA engine.
    There is an update for the PDM software that fixes that problem. It is
    version 3.03 I believe. I haven't yet installed it because I haven't found
    a good explanation of how to install it yet, so I just keep using the old
    WIN98 machine if I have to access my PIX.

    Or try this. I haven't tried it yet, but I seem to remember this was one
    fix.

    *********************
    From: "Martin Kayes" <>
    Subject: Re: Cisco SDM is not working
    Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 09:30:02 +0100

    Several Cisco Java based products have problems using the latest Java 1.5,
    try uninstalling Java and installing a slightly older version (must be
    1.4.2_05 or higher though)

    Regards,

    Martin
    *********************

    Hope that helps,

    Gordon Montgomery
    Living Scriptures, Inc
    (anti spam - replace lsi with livingscriptures)
    (801) 627-2000

    Gordon Montgomery, Jul 13, 2005

  3. ryan_s1111

    Martin Kayes Guest

    Hi Gordon,

    To install PDM 3.03, you just need to delete the old PDM from flash and TFTP
    the new image to flash. Sometimes the new PDM will work without a reboot,
    sometimes a reboot is needed.

    Regards,

    Martin

    Martin Kayes, Jul 13, 2005
  4. ryan_s1111

    ryan_s1111 Guest

    What's the process (commands) for removing the old PDM, then for
    installing a new one? My Cisco commands are limited to basically
    interface changes and setup.

    ryan_s1111, Jul 14, 2005
  5. :What's the process (commands) for removing the old PDM, then for
    :installing a new one? My Cisco commands are limited to basically
    :interface changes and setup.

    The only way that I know of is to use flashfs downgrade
    to erase the flash filesystem. After that you might need to
    reinstall the OS, and you would need to copy the new PDM in,
    and you would need to create new RSA keys (those are stored in the
    flash filesystem.)

    If you are installing a newer flash version, then you don't usually
    need to remove the old one first -- but to give room for it to
    fit, you might need to do something like temporarily clobber your
    access lists and save that configuration (so as to lower the footprint
    for the save config) and then once you are done, recreate whatever
    parts of the config you clobbered and save that.

    Walter Roberson, Jul 14, 2005
  6. ryan_s1111

    Martin Kayes Guest

    To quote Cisco's TAC you just do this:

    To upgrade PIX Device Manager (PDM) software, perform these steps:
    1.. Place the PDMxxx.bin file on the TFTP server.

    2.. From the PIX Firewall command line, enter the copy tftp flash: pdm
    command and follow the prompts to install the new software on the PIX
    Firewall.

    The upgrade is complete.

    Note: The PIX Firewall does not need to be reloaded after installing a new
    version of PDM. The new version takes affect immediately.

    Regards,

    Martin

    Martin Kayes, Jul 15, 2005
  7. : 2.. From the PIX Firewall command line, enter the copy tftp flash: pdm

    If you are tight on memory (which is most likely on the 501 of the topic),
    that procedure will not work. The PIX wants to copy the entire new
    image into RAM and verify it before it erases the old image and
    copies the new into nvram.

    Walter Roberson, Jul 15, 2005