Cisco One to One or Static NAT

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by borg1of2, Jun 6, 2007.

  1. borg1of2

    borg1of2

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi,

    I am looking to understand which Cisco router, and specifically if a SOHO 851 or 871 router supports one to one NAT. I am referring to setting up the router so that for inbound and outbound requests the NAT rule applies.

    LAN side of the router IP is 192.168.31.101.
    Internet side of the router IP is 192.168.9.11. NAT rule is setup so that these two IP's are NATed, the .101 is a physical device. So, that when device with .101 makes a request to a physical device on the internet side, say 192.168.9.30, the .30 device, at the TCP/IP layer, sees the IP request as if it came from 192.168.9.11. Note that the router has a phyiscal IP address of 192.168.9.003.

    Normal routing rules the .30 device would see requests coming from the .003, but that is not what I need.

    I heard this referred to as Multi Nat, or one to one NAT, or even Static NAT, but I am not really sure.

    Any assistance would be appreciated.

    Scott

    borg1of2, Jun 6, 2007

  2. borg1of2

    borg1of2

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Any Help on this?

    borg1of2, Jun 8, 2007

  3. borg1of2

    rmundy

    Joined:
    May 27, 2010
    Messages:
    10
    Likes Received:
    0
    Scott,

    From the details you've given so far it sounds like you're looking to do NAT overload (also called PAT). There is more information on the cisco website but I'm not able to post a link to it. Just search "configure nat overload" on google.

    As far as I'm aware the 800 series is capable of doing NAT as long as the IOS version supports it. An example of the configuration you could use is as below, but there are a few different ways to achieve what you're trying to do.

    Router(config)#ip access-list standard ISP
    Router(config-std-nacl)#permit 192.168.31.0 255.255.255.0

    Router(config)#interface fastethernet 0 (LAN INTERFACE)
    Router(config-if)#ip nat inside

    Router(config)#interface fastethernet 1 (Internet INTERFACE)
    Router(config-if)#ip nat outside

    Router(config)#ip nat inside source list ISP interface FastEthernet1 overload

    rmundy, May 27, 2010