Cisco IP phone 7960G

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Ladaan, Mar 14, 2006.

  1. Ladaan

    Ladaan Guest

    Hi,
    I have 7960G with P0S3-07-5-00 firmware.
    I can not get to menu because I get "Protocol Application Invalid"
    When I track down communication with Ethereal I see that IP phone is
    sending
    requests from 255.255.255.255 IP address which is strange.
    If I reset the phone ( * + 6 + Settings ) it does not reset the IP
    address.
    Is there any factory default reset?
    Hopefully my phone didn't become a brick.

    Additionally I found this in Cisco Bug Tool
    My problem(bug) is probably below, but I didn't input the
    255.255.255.255 there
    but looks like the same behavior.

    bug CSCeg55180

    Symptom : On a Cisco 7960 Phone, the IP Address of the phone may be
    manually
    configured with certain illegal values. These values include the
    following ranges:

    127.0.0.0 through 127.255.255.255 - the IP Loopback address
    224.0.0.0 through 255.255.255.255 - Multicast and Class E Address range

    Conditions: DHCP is disabled, and address is entered via the IP Address
    item on
    Network Settings menu.

    Workaround: None.

    Ladaan, Mar 14, 2006

  2. Ladaan

    Ladaan Guest

    I found the same problem at the topic "Cisco IP Phone 7960 broken?"

    I installed the packet sniffer 'Ethereal' and it proved that the phone
    still seems to be breathing. It sends out three times CDP/VDP (Cisco
    Discovery Protocol), followed by an ARP request for IP address
    192.162.100.100, getting the correct response (MAC address) from the
    CallManager's PC. After that it tries four times a TFTP Read Request
    for file OS79XX.TXT, followed by some more TFTP requests. What puzzles
    me is the fact that there doesn't seem to be any requests for DHCP by
    the phone (possibly because there was a static IP setting before it
    died). So the sniffer reports 255.255.255.255 (same as the mask) for
    all phone requests.

    Any ideas how to solve this?

    Ladaan, Mar 14, 2006

  3. Ladaan

    Ladaan Guest

    Thanks for answers :) I found the answer on my own already.

    I just needed reset the phone and it is done this way:

    You can perform a factory reset of the 7940/7960 by holding down "#" as
    it powers up (or resets), at which point you then dial 123456789*0#.
    This is useful for many types of recovery.

    Anyway, my problem is solved. :)
    Note: too many cisco documents and this information is not them.

    Lada

    Ladaan, Mar 15, 2006