  1. edo

    mtravelkay Guest

    It kind of reminds me of how VHS beat out Beta. Beta was better.

    mtravelkay, Feb 23, 2004

  2. VHS is better becuase you can put more on a tape. You can put up to
    8 hours of programming on one tape. The mose you can put on a
    Beta tape would be about 2 hours tops. Its a matter of being able to
    put more on a tape. Six hour and 8 hour tapes dont exist for Beta.

    Charles Newman, Feb 23, 2004

  3. edo

    mtravelkay Guest

    The only way to get 6 hours of VHS on a 2 hour tape is to reduce the
    speed by 1/3, thus substantially reducing the quality. If you don't care
    about quality, then maybe VHS is the tape for you.

    mtravelkay, Feb 23, 2004
  4. You >don't NEED Power point to do a presentation. I haven't had the need to
    do a >ot of presentations but when I had I did not need power point to do
    it.

    Well, how do you put up charts and graphs, and stuff like that. It
    would
    seem next to impossible without PowerPoint, and PowerPoint is unique, as
    it is the only slide slow presentation software in the world.

    Charles Newman, Feb 23, 2004
  5. the s>tandards in computing! None of the worlds supercomputers, for example,
    run >Windows. Windows is not used to render movies like Shrek, etc. Nor does
    Nearly every flavor of Unix comes with Windows emulation. You can
    get a Windows emulator for nearly every version of Unix on the market.
    Even if they dont have Windows installed, they are certainly running Windows
    emulation. That is why I say that 99.9 percent of the worlds computers are
    running Windows-based software.
    When I was in college a decade ago, we had Unix machines running
    DOS/Windows emulation, so that they could run Turbo Pascal, to get a
    decent Pascal compiler, as there was no decent Pascal compiler for
    Unix available.

    Charles Newman, Feb 23, 2004
  6. edo

    mtravelkay Guest

    What percentage of businesses use Pascal?

    mtravelkay, Feb 23, 2004
  7. Maybe not so much Pascal, but there is a lot of software that is
    available
    for Windows that is not available for other platforms. Database software
    is one of them. Oracle and MS Access, the standards in databse software,
    are both only available for Windows.

    Charles Newman, Feb 23, 2004
  8. I have always used Super Long Play (SLP) on every VCR I have
    ever owned. Using SLP saves money, because you get more programming
    on one tape. Beta went out during the last major recession, back in the
    70s and early 80s, when people had less money to spend. Being able
    to put more programming on one tape is what killed Beta. Blank tapes were
    $7 apiece back in the early 80s. As a result, people found VHS tapes to
    be a better value, becuae they could stuff more programming on a $7
    tape.

    Charles Newman, Feb 23, 2004
  9. edo

    mtravelkay Guest

    It runs on Window, Linux, and the largest UNIX servers and mainframes.

    "From the Oracle WebsiteOracle Database Enterprise Edition delivers
    record-breaking performance and scalability on systems from small
    departmental servers running Windows or Linux to the largest UNIX
    servers and mainframes"

    mtravelkay, Feb 23, 2004
  10. edo

    lysander Guest

    Betamax is still used in professional recording where quality is
    important.

    lysander, Feb 23, 2004
  11. edo

    lysander Guest

    Oracle only runs on Windows? Access is a standard in database
    software?

    You're either a troll or a fool.

    lysander, Feb 23, 2004
  12. Either you lack imagination or you need to get out more. Something tells
    me it's a little bit of both...

    Andrew DeFaria, Feb 23, 2004
  13. edo

    L D Jones Guest

    And slow is the operative word!

    L D Jones, Feb 24, 2004
  14. edo

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Except for the ones that do. From basic URL and/or keyword controls in
    consumer devices like the Netgear RP114/RP614 and Linksys BEFSX41, to
    Sonicwall's fairly thorough Content Filtering Service (which is an upgrade
    to its little hardware boxes) to the myriad options available on serious
    hardware, you're just plain wrong.

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, Feb 24, 2004
  15. edo

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Oracle only available for Windows? MS Access the standard in database
    software? Best to lay off the skunkweed.

    When your head clears, have a read here:

    http://otn.oracle.com/tech/linux/index.html

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, Feb 24, 2004
  16. edo

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Some are. Some car stereos are made for Fords.
    Except that it's not. I run it on unix all the time. Educate yourself here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/powerpointx/powerpointx.aspx

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, Feb 24, 2004
  17. edo

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    And it's pretty much only used for games.

    Microsoft (and cygwin) provide unix emulation for Windows, too. In fact,
    Microsoft has recently pledged to provide more unix-like interfaces to
    appease administrators who don't have the patience to spend all day
    pointy-clicketing their way around. So?
    Well, that's pretty persuasive.

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, Feb 24, 2004
  18. edo

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Miguel Cruz, Feb 24, 2004
  19. edo

    devil Guest

    Kind of like how Billy the kid was successful at lowering standards and
    expectations. Now it has become normal apparently that your computers
    crashes once in a while, up to a couple of times per day or week.

    devil, Feb 24, 2004
  20. edo

    devil Guest

    Games, that is.

    (OK, I'll admit. I still have some form of Windows on my laptop. Used
    only for powerpoint presentations. Although one of these days I'll do my
    homework and I'll find that Linux replacement.)

    devil, Feb 24, 2004