    CyberSitter, SurfWatch, CyberPatrol, or any other filtering
    software, and all the computers behind it are filtering. Content
    filtering is not possible with a hardware router.

    Charles Newman, Feb 23, 2004

  2. Tiny Personal Firwall is a very good software firewall. It can fiprotect
    any
    network running behind the ICS box quite well.

    Charles Newman, Feb 23, 2004

  3. edo

    mtravelkay Guest

    Are you saying that with XP Pro, I can run a DSL connection from the
    phone jack right to a card on the PC and I could use this instead of an
    adsl router?

    mtravelkay, Feb 23, 2004
  4. Yes you can. You can run right from the Modem to your NIC card,
    and then put in a second NIC card to feed your LAN. Internet Connection
    Shating (ICS) makes hardware routers obsolete.

    Charles Newman, Feb 23, 2004
  5. edo

    mtravelkay Guest

    I said "from the phone jack to a card on the PC"
    A Cisco 827 is a ADSL Modem/Router. The earlier comment was that you
    could do it all with the PC. In that vain, how do you get a PC to
    replace a UBR (Cable router at the headend)?

    mtravelkay, Feb 23, 2004
  6. That cannot be done. You HAVE to have a DSL modem, to connect
    to DSL service. There are NO cards that will let you plug DSL into
    a card on your PC. Whether you use a router, or use ICS, you CANNOT
    get DSL, without a DSL modem.

    Charles Newman, Feb 23, 2004
  7. However, virtually all the software in the world is written for
    Windows.
    If you want to have the latest software, you need Windows. Every office PC
    in the world runs Windows, because that is what the all the hottest business
    software runs under. Servers may run Linux, or something else, but all the
    client machines will br running Windows.

    Charles Newman, Feb 23, 2004
  8. edo

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    What is "the hottest business software"? I haven't had to touch a Windows
    machine in quite a while now.

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, Feb 23, 2004
  9. edo

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Or use one card and multihome. Results will vary depending on your broadband
    access device (and collisions could slow you down some) but it'll most
    likely work.

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, Feb 23, 2004
  10. Patently false (depending on your definition of "virtual" I guess).
    Some of the "latest software" isn't written for Windows.
    Not really...
    That depends a lot on your business. Google, for example, runs under
    Linux. I'm pretty sure a lot of the desktops there are also running
    Linux. If you're into media, such as making CDs, DVDs, images and the
    like then most are done on Macs.
    Maybe in your office but not everybody's office.

    Andrew DeFaria, Feb 23, 2004
  11. edo

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Unless you happened to buy one that does content filtering.

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, Feb 23, 2004
  12. edo

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Unless you buy a card that will let you connect the DSL line straight into
    your PC. For example:

    http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/remote/adsl/3cp3617/quickstart.pdf

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, Feb 23, 2004
  13. edo

    nobody Guest

    Beware. If you multihome the WAN side with the LAN side, your LAN traffic MAY
    count towards your ISP's traffic counter, depending on whether the Cable modem
    filters your local traffic or not and if it filters non-TCPIP trafffic or not.
    Most ISPs do not have support people capable of telling customers that small
    but important detail. With a real router separating the WAN from the LAN, you
    don't have that problem.

    (With DSL this problem is less because the modem acts as a single line point
    to point thing with that pesky PPPoE contraption, and it won't look at any
    ethernet traffic not specifically sent to it and not encoded in that PPPoE contraption).

    nobody, Feb 23, 2004
  14. Hardware routers dont do that. If you need filtering, you will
    HAVE to get a program, such as Websense, SufControl, CyberSitter,
    Cyber Patrol, etc, to do this. There are some hardware firewalls/
    routers supported by BESS filtering service, but I think they
    require a rather exorbitant subscription fee. The only way you can
    get a hardware firewall to do content filtering is to buy one
    suported by N2H2, the makers of Bess, and then subscribe
    to their filtering service.

    Charles Newman, Feb 23, 2004
  15. Programs like Office XP, Corel Office Suite, and many others. Go into
    any computer storre, and it will be 99.9 percent Windows. Windows
    is THE standard in compting.

    Charles Newman, Feb 23, 2004
  16. Charles Newman wrote:
    However, virtually all the software in the world is written for Windows.

    Patently false (depending on your definition of "virtual" I guess).

    If you want to have the latest software, you need Windows.
    Some of the "latest software" isn't written for Windows.

    Every office PC in the world runs Windows,
    Not really...

    because that is what the all the hottest business software runs under.
    That depends a lot on your business. Google, for example, runs under Linux.
    I'm pretty sure a lot of the desktops there are also running Linux. If
    you're into media, such as making CDs, DVDs, images and the like then most
    are done on Macs.

    Windows XP has CD burning software built in. And if that is not
    enough, you can buy Adaptec Easy CD Creator, to make and burn
    CDs.
    I am sure, though, that the accounting department, and upper
    level management who run the business probably use Windows
    machines in their offices. Things like word processors, spreadsheets
    and the like, are all written for Windows.
    Even media companies need at least SOME Windows PCs for
    record keeping and the like. Word processors, spreadsheets, and
    the like, are all written for Windows. And what if someone has to
    do a presentation? Sorry, but PowerPoint is Windows-only.

    Charles Newman, Feb 23, 2004
  17. Program ended abnormally on 23/02/2004 03:49, Due to a catastrophic Charles
    Newman error:
    See... Mike got you there. the DSL or cable modem *is* a router. Highspeed
    Internet providers call it a modem because the masses have been told that to go
    on the Internet you need one of them there modems.

    Francois Labreque, Feb 23, 2004
  18. Not burning CDs but producing the material that will eventually be burnt
    onto the CD. Go in to any professional recording studio and you will
    *not* see Windows but you will see Macs running ProTools. And the
    motives the big boys do are not rendered on Windows either.
    BFD! So some members of the company can't see past their PCs. That
    proves nothing.
    Thinks like word processors, spreadsheets and the like are also all
    written for non Windows too. What's you're point? That Windows is
    popular? We all know that. So what. You are aware that there are people
    who requirement different or more from their software and who do not run
    their business on Windows.
    They may use PCs and may even use Windows, but they don't need to. What
    Windows does can easily be done by any decent OS, and is already done
    within many other OSes.
    Actually you could probably run it under Vmware but that's not the
    point. You don't *NEED* Power point to do a presentation. I haven't had
    the need to do a lot of presentations but when I had I did not need
    power point to do it.

    Andrew DeFaria, Feb 23, 2004
  19. Windows is THE standard in needlessly wasting resources but hardly is it
    the standards in *computing!* None of the worlds supercomputers, for
    example, run Windows. Windows is not used to render movies like Shrek,
    etc. Nor does Windows corner the embedded or technical markets.

    Andrew DeFaria, Feb 23, 2004
  20. edo

    mtravelkay Guest

    What about IOS's Firewall Feature Set?