Cisco DHCP Relay Agent - strange thing..

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by bjoern.hoefer, Jan 20, 2006.

  1. Hello,

    I have worked the whole week to get our new-DHCP Schema working. - No
    it works, but i really don't know why...

    Catalyst 3550 12G Configuration (Backbone Switch)

    ip dhcp relay information trust-all

    Interface Vlan 1
    IP Adresses:
    Primary: 10.10.6.1/24
    Secondary: 192.168.200.3/24
    192.168.111.1/24
    ....(many other addresses)
    ip helper address 192.168.201.254

    Interface VLAN 610
    primary: 192.168.201.3/24

    I want that our DHCP Server (Win2003) serves our Clients with
    10.10.6.x/24 IP Adresses. (and later 192.168.199.x/24, and other
    192.168.x.x/24 Scopes)

    The server has an interface in VLAN 610 and the DHCP-Server is bounded
    to that Interface.

    When I use the configuration above, it works fine (The clients get
    10.10.6.x/24 IPs and 192.168.199.x/24 IPs).
    But if I change the primary IP-Adress of VLAN 1 Interface to e.g.
    192.168.200.3/24, the clients get no lease.

    The leases reach the DHCP-Server, but it does'nt react on the
    DHCPDISCOVER (GIADDR ist the primary ip of the Switch).
    No DHCPOFFER, no log-file entry, the only chance to ensure, that the
    packets reach the server is to use a sniffer, like etheral.

    Is this a problem of the Windows 2003 Server or an logical mistake by
    myself?

    Best greets

    Bjoern A. Hoefer

    bjoern.hoefer, Jan 20, 2006

  2. bjoern.hoefer

    helpdesk Guest

    Hello Bjoern,

    how are your scopes defined ? I believe that with secondary addressing,
    you will need a single superscope with a scope inside for each subnet
    defined on your interface. So in your case that would mean a suoerscope
    with scopes for 10.10.6.0/24, 192.168.200.0/24, 192.168.111.0/24 etc...

    HTH,

    www.solutionfinders.nl
    We've got answers !

    helpdesk, Jan 20, 2006