    They are so new , I have never see the non Catalyst or anything running
    the CatOS instead of IOS.

    Me

    why?, Jul 24, 2006

  2. JohnF

    why? Guest

    Because <grin> it's the day job </grin>.

    Although the OP hasn't replied with the IOS version number.

    Depending on OP posting again, the 1 obvious URL that's still missing
    the basic console configuration , honstname, ip , password although the
    setup prompt runs automatically and it's a y/n to continue.

    However if the OP does or doesn't do the basic setup and hasn't saved
    the config, it keeps asking.

    Me

    why?, Jul 24, 2006

  3. JohnF

    JohnF Guest

    2pcs.
    WS-C3524-XL-EN
    didn't see anything like IOSxxx
    date on sticker 6/11/01

    Also have
    Cisco 2600 router
    and
    Paradyne 9124 Frameserver SLV

    a few other pcs too, HP print server, 2 gigantic UPS's, 3 big-ass form
    printers, 1 printronix proline series5 and 2 CItohs 400/300.

    JohnF

    JohnF, Jul 25, 2006
  4. JohnF

    JohnF Guest

    Haven't tried anything yet.
    "1st do no harm"
    Physicians oath.

    Later I'll get to
    "Do something, right or wrong just do something"
    My father-in-law who I worked under for several years.

    Then
    "It just doesn't matter"
    Bill Murray

    JohnF

    JohnF, Jul 25, 2006
  5. JohnF

    Jimchip Guest

    "It is better to have tried and failed than to never have tried at all.
    However, the result from both approaches is the same" :)

    Jimchip, Jul 25, 2006
  6. JohnF

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 22:29:12 -0500, Mara wrote:

    Hi,
    It's usually the little numbers that follow cause the most fun :) for
    those you need visibility of the sticker on the back or access to the
    GUI / cmd line and - show version.
    You mean creating new rules?

    It can be dead simple, from something like - (pseudo commands)

    allow dns
    allow any server-address-1
    allow any server address-2
    deny everything_else

    If you have a DMZ, multiple interfaces / onboard VPN and so on it gets a
    bit heavy going.

    There are some CIsco PIX 5xx posts in
    comp.security.firewalls

    but better start off with, lots of help from the regulars.
    comp.dcom.sys.cisco

    Remembering the Cisco online docs as well.

    Some pointer examples and guides
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/tsd_products_support_configure.html

    The 2 books I have are,

    For the exam -
    ISBN 1-58720-123-2 CCSP Cisco Secure PIX Firewall Advanced, Exam
    Certification Guide
    http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587201232&rl=1

    Most likely this 1 first.
    ISBN 1-58705-149-4 CCSP Self-Study Cisco Secure PIX Firewall Advanced
    http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587051494&rl=1

    Me

    why?, Jul 26, 2006
  7. JohnF

    why? Guest

    Oh well, if you go through the reset procedure, or even get the rollover
    cable / hyperterminal going, start logging to a file and power cycle the
    switch. The info will be captured to the log file.
    Something nice for the home :)

    <very big snip>

    Me

    why?, Jul 26, 2006