? Cisco Catalyst 3500 XL Series Switches

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by JohnF, Jul 21, 2006.

  1. JohnF

    JohnF Guest

    Cisco Catalyst 3500 XL Series Switches

    Can anyone give me a layman's version of how to set this thing up as a
    plain hub? I have 2 of these left over from whoever we bought the
    building from as well as several other pcs of network stuff I know
    nothing about. I D/L the manual but get cross eyed after the 1st 3
    sentences. All I need is a hub to hook the office comps to but it
    seems this unit is extremely sophisticated and I'm not. I have a
    cheapie wireless hub/router in there now with a 2nd hub attached so I
    have enough ports but I want to replace the wireless unit with our old
    single port Netgear router so need a larger hub. From what i see in
    the manual I have to assign IP addresses to each comp but the router
    does that, Oh, yeah, I can't tell where to hook the router to on the
    Cisco either.

    I spend the day programming, setting up and fixing CNC equipment so by
    the time I have a little while to look into this my brain is pudding.

    TIA

    JohnF

    JohnF, Jul 21, 2006

  2. JohnF

    Jimchip Guest

    Not just the typical RJ-45 from a router port to the master switch port?
    Don't you need some kind of CoS (Class of Service) or QoS (Quality)
    software in order to configure it. It's (sorta) like the software that
    comes with a router. Maybe read the whole Cisco site regarding your
    model.

    Jimchip, Jul 22, 2006

  3. JohnF

    JohnF Guest

    I'm not sure, it says something about connecting through a browser but
    I need to set some options before I can browse. I'll look it over
    again on the weekend.

    JohnF

    JohnF, Jul 22, 2006
  4. JohnF

    Jimchip Guest

    If it's a typical Cisco set-up then you need to install some software on
    a computer directly connected to the switch. Your cisco is "smart" and
    so it has the equivalent of a small computer and a network interface. It
    just doesn't do everything a router can. It will have a local IP number
    that you point your browser at so you can configure it. At least that's
    pretty standard- I don't have any experience with your model but I have
    worked with those kind of switches before. They keep changing things
    though so you need to look at your particular model's manual and specs.

    Jimchip, Jul 22, 2006
  5. JohnF

    JohnF Guest

    I found an 8 port hub in my box(s) of goodies so I bought some time on
    figuring out the Cisco. I may just try to sell the 2 Ciscos and get a
    larger, less complicated switch/hub.

    Thanks

    JohnF

    PS, I have run into another problem, made a new post for it though.

    JohnF, Jul 22, 2006
  6. JohnF

    Jimchip Guest

    If you don't need it and you just want connections then a "dumb" hub is
    really the simplest. I don't know what era your Cisco is from but
    typically they sell new ~$700. They are highly functional, some
    including phone switching. Perhaps overkill for your needs. If you are
    going to be at this for awhile then buying new with currently supported
    software is the way to go even though it's more expensive in the short
    term. Cisco retires older models and stops supporting them so it can be
    a bear to startup with an older device. Just my $.02.

    Jimchip, Jul 22, 2006
  7. JohnF

    Jimchip Guest

    I don't think so, either. They were designed to just pile on
    connections. And they are fast.
    There's a lot of switching going on in there :)

    Don't the old Ciscos need their magic software to get them initially
    configured? I haven't fooled around with those for several years
    (which makes me very out of date, Cisco-wise) but I think they need to
    be told how to behave. I know the newer ones just have a web interface
    (sweeeet!) but, IIRC, the older ones had a proprietary software install.
    Before the "firmware revolution".

    Jimchip, Jul 22, 2006
  8. JohnF

    Meat Plow Guest

    Need the appropriate RJ45 - DB9 cable, a terminal program such as Procomm
    or Hyperterminal. Hook the terminal or PC running terminal software via
    serial port to the RJ45 console port on the Cisco. Remember you have
    passwords protecting the setup so that's a problem. You can also access
    the Cisco using a web browser at its IP address but you'll have to figure
    that out or set it up via telnet into the console port.

    Meat Plow, Jul 22, 2006
  9. JohnF

    Meat Plow Guest

    Bwaaaaaaaaaaahahah you "think" pityfull.

    Meat Plow, Jul 22, 2006
  10. JohnF

    why? Guest

    On the back of this will be 2 stickers,

    WS-35xxXL- , and the
    other is IOS xx.x(yy) zz

    Reply with those.

    Also on the back you will see a Console RJ45 port, you connect to that
    with any dumb terminal software like Hyperterminal.

    You need a DB9-RJ45 Cisco rollover cable, looks like
    http://dwseo.ddc.ac.kr/cisco-pub/images/cable-console-500.jpg
    The DB9 end may be a gray adapter and the cable will br RJ45-RJ45
    as in
    http://www.stril.com/marketing/2500/Consolecablekit.jpg

    What's a plain hub? BTW it's a switch.
    If you aren't the original owner then you have to relicense the IOS
    software from Cisco.
    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/csc/refurb_equipment/
    Software Transfer & Licensing

    Look for the password removal and config wipe commands , www.cisco.com

    Basics of accessing command line, different modes
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products..._reference_chapter09186a00800d9c95.html#21590
    User Exec, Privileged EXEC least minimum you may need.

    3500XL cables and adapters, connecting to PC/
    Identifying a Rollover Cable
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products..._4container_ccmigration_09186a00801e873f.html

    Which manual, helps to refer to what you may already have.
    It's not that hard.
    It would be, there is a difference betewwn a 4 port Netgear home switch
    and a 3500XL.
    You may need a crossover cable from the ISP connection to the 3500XL. I
    can't remember just now.
    Your Netgear router should provide the DHCP to handle the IP addressing.
    Same place as the other stuff you have connected.

    ISP - Netgear WAN port - Netgear LAN port - Cisco
    This must have been easy to find
    http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/search/search.pl
    enter - 3500xl reset password

    Skipping a search and going straight to =

    Note there are no shortcuts, you have to follow all the steps in order
    and carefully.

    Password recovery (reset)
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...ducts_password_recovery09186a0080094184.shtml

    Reset Catalyst Switches Running Cisco IOS Software
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_tech_note09186a00800c4546.shtml
    applies to - Catalyst 2900XL/3500XL

    There is no short cut (again), you have to follow all the steps,
    erasing the config
    wiping the vlan information.

    Me

    why?, Jul 22, 2006
  11. JohnF

    why? Guest

    You need to know the IP address, subnet etc then set PC to same range of
    settings anf yo need the name/password.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Jul 22, 2006
  12. JohnF

    why? Guest

    Dependin on config, should be any port as long as PC in same subnet.
    No, the web interface does require Sun JVM/JRE to run.

    Me

    why?, Jul 22, 2006
  13. JohnF

    why? Guest

    I wouldn't mind a couple of 3500XL for the house, to go with the Cisco
    FW & router :) but the re-license fee for the IOS is way too expensive.
    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Jul 22, 2006
  14. JohnF

    JohnF Guest

    I can relate to that! The only reason I'm IT here is I knew how to
    switch on the computers, well, at least I knew what a computer
    was....that was 10 years ago and it's been all downhill from there.
    I've learned so much and a lot of what I've learned is there's a hell
    of a lot more to learn. My 57 year old 8088 brain needs a storage and
    memory boost...Maybe 2k.

    It is fun though..............................

    JohnF

    JohnF, Jul 23, 2006
  15. JohnF

    Jimchip Guest

    I hate the inventory list. Almost everything has a post-purchase code
    number and all the "stuff" has to be checked off in order to make sure
    it wasn't ripped off (but who would want it?). Then, if something has
    not been tagged (which happens often) there is actually paper work that
    has to occur to get it tagged. It's far down my preference list-that's
    for sure.
    (Then there's the stuff purchasing doesn't have a record for...We call
    it a donation when that happens, LOL.)

    Jimchip, Jul 24, 2006
  16. JohnF

    Jimchip Guest

    Just keep "peeking" and "poking" around :) It's a little slower but it
    still gets IT done.

    Jimchip, Jul 24, 2006
  17. JohnF

    Jimchip Guest

    They can be setup as just dumb hubs for connectivity. One might not want
    to get into setting up the switiching. The OP's were "free", sorta, so
    it might not be a bad idea but, IIRC, he could sell them, too, whichic
    may be the better option.
    Good Cisco refs, why?

    Jimchip, Jul 24, 2006
  18. JohnF

    Jimchip Guest

    I agree...if those things have a complicated history then it can be too
    much trouble for the OP. I think he just wants something to work and his
    brain is tired...I know the feeling :)
    OK, good. I really didn't check out how old they were but they didn't
    always have a web interface :) I'll remember Catalysts are "new enough".

    Jimchip, Jul 24, 2006
  19. JohnF

    Jimchip Guest

    There's one Mac still running WP 3.0 and MacWrite 2.0 mostly as
    translators for WriteNow because there is a lot of data in WriteNow and
    no one has had time to do a full re-capitulation. Just take it as needed
    and re-format then, as it comes up. It's mostly all taken care of. LOL.
    I don't want to know what might be on some of the computers but I don't
    have a need to know either :)

    Jimchip, Jul 24, 2006
  20. JohnF

    Jimchip Guest

    After 10 years he should and he wouldn't want to keep learning if he
    didn't.
    A good grip on reality is not in opposition to "geek insanity". I
    understand that geeks from the star system Sirius do think that that
    stuff is fun. :)

    Hey, JohnF, whereya from :)

    Jimchip, Jul 24, 2006