Cisco Catalyst 2950 switch won't connect to Netware Server

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by 1NetAdminGuy, Sep 28, 2004.

  1. 1NetAdminGuy

    1NetAdminGuy Guest

    I am not too saavy in the programming of switches and routers so we
    recently replaced a Catalyst 2950 that got fried in a storm. I have
    gotten it to talk to our router and reaches our DNS servers at
    corporate and all of our intranet stuff. All of those things are
    located at our coporate office. Here at our site we have building 1
    and building 2. Building 1 is where i have installed the new switch
    and building 2 is the location of our router and our local netware 3.2
    file server. So when i use the Novell client v. 4.90 it will not bring
    up the name of our server to connect to. However from any other
    building on site where we have all of our existing switches, this is
    not a problem. Connectivity is fine. We have fiber between each of the
    buildings as well. So being that when i connect my laptop up on the
    new switch in building 1, and i can get internet access and to the
    intranet, that tells me that it is reaching building 2 just fine as it
    is making it to the router and then up to our corporate office. so my
    question is, why is it not making a connection to our file server? i
    realize that switches don't really block access to things like this
    and they don't really care what kind of traffic is crossing. as far as
    it's concerned it's just packets in and out. so what am i missing to
    allow this switch to connect to our file server. It is strictly IPX as
    there is no IP and it just resides on our LAN. Any help would be
    appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Brian Mosher

    1NetAdminGuy, Sep 28, 2004

  2. :recently replaced a Catalyst 2950 that got fried in a storm. I have
    :gotten it to talk to our router and reaches our DNS servers at
    :corporate and all of our intranet stuff.

    :Novell client v. 4.90 it will not bring
    :up the name of our server to connect to.

    Do the NICs in the computers just -happen- to be Xircom RealPort2
    CardBus? If so,
    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/46.html#cat_2950_3550
    and search for IPX

    Walter Roberson, Sep 28, 2004

  3. enable spanning tree portfast on the user access ports of the C2950.

    fx:
    conf t
    #interface range fas 0/1 - 24
    (int-range)# spanning-tree portfast
    exit
    exit
    wr me

    HTH
    Martin Bilgrav

    Martin Bilgrav, Sep 29, 2004
  4. 1NetAdminGuy

    vipergg Guest

    On each user interface issue the "switchport host" command , this
    will probably take care of your issue . Sounds like it is running
    thru the complete spanning tree cycle so it times out waiting for this
    , this will stop that from happening .

    vipergg, Oct 1, 2004