Cisco 877 does NOT support G.992.2 ITU G.Lite used by Versatel DSLAM (Netherlands)

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Ronald de Leeuw, Dec 19, 2005.

  1. Hello,

    We were trying to connect a Cisco 877 to a Versatel DSLAM, but were unable
    to get a line sync. So we opened a TAC-case, and got the answer quoted
    below.

    So does anyone know why Versatel is using the G.992.2 ITU G.Lite in their
    DSLAM's (type Copper Mountain)?

    Is G.992.2 ITU G.Lite a new DSL standard, or is it already becomming
    obsolete?

    Does anyone know if the other DSL-providers in The Netherlands (KPN, BBned
    etc.) are considering to use the G.992.2 ITU G.Lite standard?

    We need this information because we are now forced to decide between Cisco
    and Versatel.

    Ronald de Leeuw

    :

    ------------------------------- START QUOTE

    As far as I am aware there are no plans to support G.lite on 877.

    As Cisco SOHO97 supports the next:

    -------

    Cisco SOHO 97 ADSL Specifications

    ST-Micro (formerly Alcatel Micro) DynaMiTe ADSL Chipset . T1.413 ANSI ADSL
    DMT issue 2 . G.992.1 ITU G.DMT support . G.992.2 ITU G.Lite support .
    G.992.3 ITU G.hs ADSL type negotiation . TR-048

    -------

    The 877 supports.

    ST-Micro DynaMiTe (formerly Alcatel Micro Electronics) ADSL Chipset (20190)
    .. T1.413 ANSI ADSL DMT issue 2 . G.992.1 ITU G.DMT support . G.992.3 ITU
    G.hs ADSL type negotiation . G.992.3 (ADSL 2)/G.992.5 (ADSL2+) . DSL Forum
    TR-067

    ---------

    Common on SOHO 97 and Cisco 877

    .. T1.413 ANSI ADSL DMT issue 2

    .. G.992.1 ITU G.DMT support

    .. G.992.3 ITU G.hs ADSL type negotiation

    So as long as the DSL line is G.992.1 you are fine.
    From the 827/837/Soho97 You can see it:

    gtv97#sh dsl int atm0

    ATU-R (DS) ATU-C (US)

    Modem Status: Showtime (DMTDSL_SHOWTIME)

    DSL Mode: ITU G.992.2 (G.Lite)

    Please take this up with your local Cisco Sales Team.

    They can help you raising a business case for supporting

    G.lite on newer products in the future.

    The latest new WIC-card is the ADSL HWICs.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6441/products_feature_guide09186a00805

    4ed9a.html#wp1027129

    ADSL Features

    Supported ADSL features are as follows:

    ..HWIC-1ADSL and HWIC-1ADSLI provide ADSL high-speed digital data

    transmissions between the customer premises equipment (CPE) and the central

    office (CO).

    ..HWIC-1ADSL supports ADSL-over-POTS (ADSL, ADSL2, and ADSL2+), complying

    with Annex A of ITU G.992.1, G.992.3, and G.992.5.

    ..HWIC-1ADSLI supports ADSL-over-ISDN (ADSL, ADSL2, and ADSL2+), complying

    with Annex B of ITU G.992.1, G.992.3, and G.992.5. It also supports and

    complies with ETSI 101-388 and the Deutsche Telekom U-R2 specification.

    ..HWIC-1ADSL and HWIC-1ADSLI support reach-extended ADSL2, complying with

    Annex L of ITU G.992.3.

    ..HWIC-1ADSL and HWIC-1ADSLI comply with ANSI T1.413 issue 2.

    Ronald de Leeuw, Dec 19, 2005

  2. Ronald de Leeuw

    jeroen Guest

    Hoi Ronald,

    I can't imagine that one of the other dutch dsl-providers will change
    standards. That would involve a huge amount of work (config changes
    etc.) and raise a lot of support tickets for equipment that doesn't
    support the G.992.2 ITU G.Lite standard. I think it would be way to costly.

    /jeroen

    jeroen, Dec 19, 2005