Cisco 877 & Cisco 827 as backup

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Simon Gronow, Dec 17, 2006.

  1. Simon Gronow

    Simon Gronow Guest

    Hi Guys,

    I have got 2 ADSL Cisco Routers 877 and 827. We want to setup these up as
    the 877 Primary and 827 as backup. - we have done this with 56k modem before

    They both connect to the same ISP and connect fine. We have a Class C which
    gets routed down both links (same priority)

    The Routes for the routers are

    877 (192.168.1.1)

    IP ROUTE 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.1.1.1
    IP ROUTE 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.2 2

    827 (192.168.1.2)

    IP ROUTE 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.1.1.1

    The problem is that the ISP traffic data comes in on the 827 we want it to
    come in on the 877. The ISP has told us to set the router (827) to dial up
    on demand.

    Can anyone tell me the command to put into the Cisco 827?

    Thanks
    Rgds
    SImon.

    Simon Gronow, Dec 17, 2006

  2. Simon Gronow

    Al Guest

    Hi Simon,

    I'm not sure about the dial on demand config, but would it be possible
    for the ISP to advertise two /25 subnets on the 877 link & the /24
    subnet on the 827 link? That way, the more specific routes on the 877
    would ensure all traffic goes down that link until it goes down, when
    it would switch to the 827 link. Just a different way of achieving the
    same goal that we've used a few times.

    Regards,

    Al

    Al, Dec 17, 2006

  3. Simon Gronow

    Simon Gronow Guest

    Yeap, thats what I thought too

    waiting on my ISP to come back to me re: this

    Thanks Al - Anyone else want to comment?

    Simon Gronow, Dec 18, 2006