Cisco 827, flash memory and IOS...

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Rightrik, Nov 9, 2003.

  1. Rightrik

    Rightrik Guest

    Hello, i've recently bought a second hand Cisco 827 router.
    I've setup this router manually, using command line (and google' old posts
    :))) ), and it's working quite fine.
    I think i have problems with flash memory, but i am not shure. I need some
    experts help to determine it, and to understand if it's a HW problem, or
    "JUST" a wrong IOS problem by the previous owner of router...
    I have found that CRWS (the Cisco router web setup ) is not working, and if
    i connect the serial cable to the router, during the cold startup i can see
    the message :
    Unable to initialize flash device at FFE80000 -- device not found.

    If i try a "show flash:", i receive this :
    Cisco827>sh flash:
    ^
    % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

    Cisco827>

    If i try a "dir ?", this is the result:
    Cisco827#dir ?
    /all List all files
    null: Directory or file name
    nvram: Directory or file name
    system: Directory or file name
    xmodem: Directory or file name
    ymodem: Directory or file name
    Unknown file system <cr>

    Cisco827#dir

    This is the result of "show ver" command :
    Cisco827>sho ver
    IOS (tm) C820 Software (C820-Y6-M), Version 12.1(3)XG6, EARLY DEPLOYMENT
    RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    TAC Support: http://www.cisco.com/tac
    Compiled Fri 22-Feb-02 23:17 by ealyon
    Image text-base: 0x80013170, data-base: 0x805E4C38

    ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(1r)XE2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    ROM: C820 Software (C820-Y6-M), Version 12.1(3)XG6, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE
    SOFTWARE (fc1)

    Cisco827 uptime is 10 hours, 0 minutes
    System returned to ROM by reload
    System image file is "flash:c820-y6-mz.121-3_XG6.bin"

    CISCO C827 (MPC855T) processor (revision 0x801) with 15360K/1024K bytes of
    memor
    y.
    Processor board ID JAD07130K5T (3352924307), with hardware revision 0000
    CPU rev number 5
    Bridging software.
    1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    1 ATM network interface(s)

    Configuration register is 0x2102

    Cisco827>

    Do you have some ideas? What do you think about it?
    Please let me know, i use Ciscos since 1 week only :)

    Thanks a lot,
    Riccardo

    Rightrik, Nov 9, 2003

  2. Rightrik

    Tim Thorne Guest

    The router can't see the flash memory. Pop the lid and reseat the
    flash memory to see if that makes any difference. Your bootstrap is
    newer than your IOS. Get your hands on a new IOS and try that.

    Tim

    Tim Thorne, Nov 9, 2003

  3. Rightrik

    Rightrik Guest

    Hi, Tim, thanks for your reply.
    Unfortunately i cannot reseat the flash memory simply because i have no any
    flash memory sitting in my 827's socket : only the (i think) on-board
    flash...
    At the moment i have no additional cards like RAM or flash, only
    basic-configuration (i bought the 827 used..)

    Wich version of IOS do you suggest me to install? (...i hope to be able to
    find something somewhere, it probably will not be easy...)
    Do you think i'll need a memory (flash and RAM ) upgrade?

    Thanks,
    Riccardo

    Rightrik, Nov 9, 2003
  4. Rightrik

    Tim Thorne Guest

    Any IOS newer than the bootstrap. Your bootstrap is 12.2(1r)XE2. I've
    had similar problems with 2600 and 3600 routers with newer bootstraps.
    They wouldn't see interfaces and removable flash cards.

    Tim

    Tim Thorne, Nov 10, 2003
  5. Rightrik

    Rightrik Guest

    Ok Tim, thank you. I'll try to find out a new ios and install it.

    Riccardo

    Rightrik, Nov 10, 2003
  6. Rightrik

    Rightrik Guest

    Great Tim, thank you very much : i have upgraded IOS to a newer version, and
    now my flash memory is normally available!!!

    Cisco827#dir ?
    /all List all files
    /recursive List files recursively
    all-filesystems List files on all filesystems
    flash: Directory or file name
    null: Directory or file name
    nvram: Directory or file name
    system: Directory or file name
    webflash: Directory or file name
    xmodem: Directory or file name
    ymodem: Directory or file name
    <cr>

    Cisco827#

    Thank you again for your precious help,
    Riccardo :)))

    Rightrik, Nov 26, 2003
  7. Rightrik

    Darek D

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    i have the same problem what version of ios did you install ?
    Darek

    Darek D, Apr 2, 2007
  8. Rightrik

    Yodapwr

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have exactly the same problem but can't find a newer IOS to download nor will Cisco give me special file access. Does anyone have a copy of IOS for a 827 or know where I can get one??

    Thanks,

    Yodapwr, Sep 24, 2007