cisco 827, configuration, Dialer vs Virtual-Template

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Shawn, May 14, 2004.

  1. Shawn

    Shawn Guest

    cisco 827
    IOS 12.3(6a)
    PPPoA

    I am able to configure the c827 with a dialer or virtual-template
    interface, either method works. I've used both configurations for
    about 30m each, and didn't really notice any differences...

    THE QUESTION:
    Are there any differences between the two? Can anyone comment as to
    the pro's and con's of each type of interface and method of
    configuration?

    Thanks!

    Shawn

    What I've noticed... it's all appears cosmetic, but the dialer
    interface seems a 'cleaner' method. Whereas the virtual-template is an
    interface (via sh int, sh ip int br), which 'clones' a subinterface,
    and uses the virtual-access interfaces like Dialer. The dialer doesn't
    'clone' a subinterface. The dialer configuration also seems the most
    popular, used in nearly all config examples. The name "dialer" is
    unsettling though.

    Oh, I didn't 'play' much with the virtual-template, but when setting
    the default route I had to specify my next hop (ISP GW) via IP,
    whereas with the dialer config could do so by interface ("ip route
    0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Dialer0") - dialer 'binds' a virutal-access int, which
    'negotiates' the next hop. This more 'dynamic' configuration is
    preferable. (I bet ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Virtual-Template1.1 would
    work though, huh?)

    [Virtual-template example configuration]
    interface Virtual-Template1
    ip unnumbered Ethernet0
    !
    interface ATM0
    no ip address
    no atm ilmi-keepalive
    dsl operating-mode auto
    pvc 0/32
    encapsulation aal5mux ppp Virtual-Template1

    = vs =

    [dialer example configuration]
    interface ATM0
    no ip address