Cisco 7940G with voip ??

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Psst, Mar 11, 2007.

  1. Psst

    Psst Guest

    Hello,
    i have bought a used Cisco 7940G which appears to have been used with
    an office network. It didnt have a psu with it so it must have been
    line powered. I have bought a psu and am trying to configure it to use
    with voip via my router/cable connection.

    My first problem is that when i go to network config in the settings
    menu and press select, i am shown the menu items but with a closed
    padlock. I tried the **# buttons to try and unlock but no change
    unless im doing something wrong.

    The current firmware versions are as follows;

    Appload ID P00307020300
    bootload id PC0303010100
    version 7.2(3.0)

    My research tells me that i need to upload the latest sip image from
    the cisco website. I have downloaded that file to my pc and then
    installed the free solarwinds tftp server software. I have unzipped
    all the cisco files in the package and put them in the tftp server
    root directory. I then powered off and on the phone but there seems to
    be no comms between the tftp server running on my pc and the phone.

    Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction?

    thanks

    joe

    Psst, Mar 11, 2007

  2. Psst

    TheMgt Guest

    Near the bottom of the 'Settings' menu there may be an 'Unlock Config'
    option. The default password for this is 'cisco'.

    TheMgt, Mar 11, 2007

  3. Psst

    alexd Guest

    In at the deep end, eh? I wouldn't recommend a Cisco to a first time home
    user.
    Has the previous owner given you the relevant passwords?
    Have you told your phone it needs to use your PC as a TFTP server? I had to
    change the options on my DHCP server to get my Mitel handsets to use the
    right TFTP server.
    http://www.trixbox.org/modules/newbb/viewforum.php?forum=3 People are often
    struggling with Ciscos in there.

    alexd, Mar 11, 2007
  4. Psst

    Psst Guest

    Unfortunately there appears to be no menu item for inputting a
    password !

    Psst, Mar 11, 2007
  5. Psst

    TheMgt Guest

    What happens when you select 'Unlock Config' ?

    TheMgt, Mar 11, 2007
  6. Psst

    stephen Guest

    admin manual entry about erasing config (from an old version of the Call
    Manager manuals, so may not apply)
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products..._guide_chapter09186a00800b608b.html#wp1020895

    if that doesnt work - time to hunt the Cisco site a bit more.

    stephen, Mar 11, 2007
  7. Psst

    Psst Guest

    There is no unlock config item in the menu...

    Psst, Mar 11, 2007
  8. Psst

    Chris Guest

    On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 17:39:52 +0000, Psst <>
    wrote:

    Can you keep us informed of progress, I intend to do this myself soon

    Chris

    Chris, Mar 12, 2007
  9. Psst

    Psst Guest

    Well ive made one discovery already,,if i press in the latch button on
    the right hand side toward the top corner then enter **#, the padlock
    symbol opens for some functions.

    Psst, Mar 12, 2007