    Any suggestions on how to get the SUP to consistently load in Switch
    or hybrid mode?

    Thanks in advance.

    tubagod, Aug 1, 2005

  2. On Sup720 by default all interfaces work in router mode. If you'd like to
    change it,just add switchport to interface configuration.

    TP

    Tomasz Paszkowski, Aug 1, 2005

  3. That's not what he's asking.

    You need to load a catOs image on your sup and an "msfc" image on the
    msfc daughter card. Call Cisco or your Cisco reseller to get the proper
    image files, and then Call TAC of browse the Cisco web site to find the
    appropriate procedures.

    Francois Labreque, Aug 3, 2005
  4. tubagod

    pacratt Guest

    The IOS that is on it does allow you to use it as as switch. IOS on
    switches can be found in other models like the Cisco 2900 or 3500 and
    works on these in a similar fashion. I have not used it in this way
    but I know it is possible.

    I had some problems myself when changing from IOS to CatOS on a
    Sup720. I found that you actually need to format the flash on the SUP
    to accept the new OS so that it will boot properly. Putting Cat OS on
    a IOS formatted on-board flash causes the boot loader to not load the
    CatOS by default especially at power up due to the way CatOS
    identifies the flash on the SUP and on the MSFC. In IOS mode, these
    are seen as a single unit. In CatOS the MSFC has a seperate flash
    built in.

    I simply used a Compact flash card formatted by either IOS or CatOS
    then copied the Cat OS to it and set the boot statement to point to
    the image on the Compact flash card. Once booted to CatOS, format the
    Sup flash and copy the image from the card to the Sup flash. Don't
    forget to change the boot statement to point to the Sup flash. From
    here you should be able to consistantly boot to CatOS.

    Next step is to session 15 into the MSFC set the BOOT statement at the
    rommon prompt to point the the IOS on the compact flash and reset.
    Once you are booted format its flash, copy the IOS and set the boot
    statement.

    Presto!

    The biggest things to remember here is use external flash and format
    the on-board flash. I used the external flash to avoid possible
    problems and did not want to have to load the OS over the Console
    port!

    If you are not comfortable with dealing with rommon or are having
    further problems, try contacting Cisco they can help. Cisco's web site
    does have some Sup720 upgrade info on it:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...cts_tech_note09186a0080116ff0.shtml#maintask1
    Pacratt

    pacratt, Aug 5, 2005