Cisco 3845 Module limitations for WIC-1SHDSL-V3..

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by evren.demirk4n, Sep 11, 2006.

  1. Hello All,

    I am thinking to implement a new network based on Cisco3845. For
    connecting our remote branches I am thinking to use G.HDSL therefore
    our selection will be WIC-1SHDSL-V3 module. Future expansions in mind
    ( 15 branches in 2 or 3 years time) I read the maximum Number of
    G.SHDSL WICs is "12" for 3845 in WIC-1SHDSL-V3's datasheet.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5855/products_data_sheet09186a00800921f0.html

    But after I check the 3845's datasheet
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5855/products_data_sheet0900aecd8016a8e8.html

    I saw that Number of High-Speed WIC (HWIC) Slots supported for this
    module was 4. My question is can we use this (WIC-1SHDSL-V3) module in
    the NM, NME, NME-X, NMD etc slots? By adding these supported Network
    Module Slots I am getting the total of 12.

    If not maybe I can go to Frame Relay to support these multiple
    branches, geographically diversed locations..
    TIA for your comments.

    Best Reagrds,
    Ras

    evren.demirk4n, Sep 11, 2006

  2. evren.demirk4n

    James Guest

    I run 3845's here - you can fit 12 standard size WIC cards in the 3845.

    You need to install 4 x NM-2W cards in the Chassis which will give you
    8 WIC slots and there are 4 on-board WIC slots.

    Beware - we have had a few problems with our 3845's. The Software ia
    quite buggy, to be expected I guess on a new platform....

    James

    James, Sep 11, 2006

  3. Hi James,
    Thank you for your comments. If I may ask how many locations are you
    connected with this router? using T1 or E1 config?

    Best Regards,
    Ras

    evren.demirk4n, Sep 11, 2006
  4. evren.demirk4n

    James Guest

    We have 12 WIC-2T's installed in three routers giving us 24 Serial
    Ports in each router.

    These are the WAN routers for our VSAT network - each port connects to
    a Satellite modem running various speeds from 128k up to 4 meg.

    At the moment we can only use about half the ports on each router.
    With one IOS release any device connected to a port in slot 3 performs
    badly and many errors are logged. When we upgrade the IOS the ports in
    slot 3 are useable but some other bug causes 100% CPU utilisation :)
    We have a TAC case open......

    James

    James, Sep 12, 2006