cisco 2950T

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by rob frohwein, Feb 7, 2006.

  1. rob frohwein

    rob frohwein Guest

    Hi,

    I have little Cisco knowledge.

    I need a switch to:
    - configure 2 100Mbits/sec vlans
    - must be able to monitor traffic on both vlans
    simultaneously. Thus all traffic of both vlans must be
    visible on the monitor (dest) port.
    So the destination monitor port must be a 1Gbit port.

    Currently I use a leased 3550 which does this job well.

    Now I want to purchase the 2950T.
    But I can't figure out from the documentation if the 2950T
    (which has two 1 Gbit RJ45 ports) can do this job.
    The doc calls the 1Gbit ports 'uplink ports' ,
    does anyone knows if these ports can also be used
    as monitor destination ports?

    thanks
    Rob Frohwein

    rob frohwein, Feb 7, 2006

  2. rob frohwein

    jcottingim Guest

    yes... they can be used for monitoring.

    jcottingim, Feb 7, 2006

  3. rob frohwein

    rob frohwein Guest

    And you mean the monitor port can "see" *both* vlans ?

    rob frohwein, Feb 7, 2006
  4. rob frohwein

    jcottingim Guest

    I'm not sure on that model. - I believe it depends on the OS as well.
    The model of switch I use at home does not allow monitoring from
    different VLAN's at the same time. (but they're old)

    sorry

    J.Cottingim

    jcottingim, Feb 7, 2006