Cisco 2950 RSPAN

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by The Sun, Aug 10, 2006.

  1. The Sun

    The Sun

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2006
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    I am a relative newbie on Cisco and need help urgently.

    I have been trying to get RSPAN working on my two 2950 switches.

    Earlier I had enabled SPAN on my switch (say Switch1) with Snort monitoring port fa0/24 and everything worked fine.

    Now, I have another 2950 switch (say Switch2) which I have connected via cross cable to Switch1 between fa0/16 ports on both ends.

    On both the switches, I have a VLAN 100 defined.
    On both the switches, VLAN 100 comprises of port fa0/1 - fa0/15.
    Port fa0/16 is connected to the other switch via cross cable.

    My objective is to monitor traffic on ports fa0/1 - fa0/16 on both the switches. My sniffer is connected to fa0/24 on Switch1.

    The output of show vlan on Switch1 is attached as a screenshot.
    Just incase you are not able to see the image, I am also pasting the output here:
    ------------paste start-----------
    VLAN Name Status Ports
    ---- -------------------------------- --------- -------------------------------
    1 default active Fa0/17, Fa0/18, Fa0/19, Fa0/20
    Fa0/21, Fa0/22, Fa0/23, Fa0/24
    Gi0/1, Gi0/2
    100 MONITOREDVLAN active Fa0/1, Fa0/2, Fa0/3, Fa0/4
    Fa0/5, Fa0/6, Fa0/7, Fa0/8
    Fa0/9, Fa0/10, Fa0/11, Fa0/12
    Fa0/13, Fa0/14, Fa0/15
    --------paste end-------------------

    I followed the Cisco documentation and did the following:
    1. Created an RSPAN VLAN with vlan id 150. This got reflected on the other switch automatically, since I have VTP configured.

    2. On Switch2, I configured monitor session 2 and the output is as follows:

    ---------
    Type : Remote Source Session
    Source Ports :
    Both : Fa0/1-20
    Reflector Port : Fa0/23
    Dest RSPAN VLAN: 150

    3. On Switch1, I configured monitor session 2 and the output is as follows:

    Type : Remote Destination Session
    Source RSPAN VLAN: 150
    Destination Ports : Fa0/24
    Encapsulation : Native
    Ingress: Disabled

    Note that on Switch2, I have configured fa0/23 as the reflector port. Currently this port is not in VLAN 100 (which I believe is the right way).
    However, currently this port is not connected to anything! I don't know what needs to be done with it.

    Note that on Switch1, after doing all the changes, the LED has turned amber and has remained that way...My sniffer is not picking any traffic.

    Please help.

    Attached Files:

    The Sun, Aug 10, 2006

  2. The Sun