    Location:
    Buffalo
    It would appear that I have successfully jerry-rigged a solution to my problem, but I still seek some answers to perplexing questions. Can anyone give me the basic rundown on the association and differences between password priviledges and secret priviledges? There seem to be at least two levels of security and I think the fact that I did not disable secret first is why I am experiencing difficulties getting my password changes to take affect as anticipated. Anyway, if anyone can give me a run down on the priviledge levels and how they work and the best way to configure them it would be greatly appreciated.

    fassler, Nov 9, 2006

  2. fassler

    globalchicken

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2006
    Messages:
    37
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Sacramento
    I think you are asking the question that what is the difference between your enable password and your enable secret password. The enable password is the password that you will use to go from user mode to priviledged exec mode. The command is as follows: enable password cisco. The enable secret password is a password that is used the same way but takes precedence over your enable password and is encrypted in the sh runn output. This encryption allows for such things as over the shoulder watchers that will see your clear text output of your password if you were to be using the enable password versus the enable secret.

    To specify an additional layer of security over the enable password command, use the enable secret command in global configuration mode.

    globalchicken, Nov 9, 2006