    for terminal connections as a recommendation, is this a requirement??

    Thanks for any help

    Andreas

    ak, May 4, 2004

  2. ak

    mh Guest

    Are you trying to use the 2610 as a terminal server to the console
    ports of the other Cisco devices?

    Suggest you post your config

    mh, May 5, 2004

  3. The async modules have preconfigured lines, which need to be
    discovered and setup before they can be used. First, do a show line to
    discover the line numbering range. Next, configure the lines for
    transport. Then you'll need to discover the interface numbering scheme
    and add <interface_num>0 to connect to each line. Lastly, I always
    create host mappings to make it easier for the ops folks to connect to
    a device.

    For example:

    ts-atlas-core1#sh li
    Tty Typ Tx/Rx A Modem Roty AccO AccI Uses Noise
    Overruns Int
    0 CTY - - - - - 4 2 0/0
    -
    33 TTY 9600/9600 - - - - - 5 118 0/0
    -
    34 TTY 9600/9600 - - - - - 3 958 0/0
    -
    35 TTY 9600/9600 - - - - - 0 0 0/0
    -
    36 TTY 9600/9600 - - - - - 1 23 0/0
    -
    37 TTY 9600/9600 - - - - - 5 119 0/0
    -
    38 TTY 9600/9600 - - - - - 3 170 0/0
    -
    39 TTY 9600/9600 - - - - - 2 379899 0/0
    -
    40 TTY 9600/9600 - - - - - 2 0 0/0
    -
    41 TTY 9600/9600 - - - - - 2 0 0/0
    -
    42 TTY 9600/9600 - - - - - 1 0 0/0
    -
    43 TTY 9600/9600 - - - - - 2 0 0/0
    -
    44 TTY 9600/9600 - - - - - 2 0 0/0
    -
    45 TTY 9600/9600 - - - - - 2 2859 0/0
    -
    * 46 TTY 9600/9600 - - - - - 3 0 0/0
    -
    47 TTY 9600/9600 - - - - - 0 0 0/0
    -
    48 TTY 9600/9600 - - - - - 0 0 0/0
    -
    65 AUX 9600/9600 - inout - - - 19 0 0/0
    -
    * 66 VTY - - - - - 99 0 0/0
    -
    67 VTY - - - - - 11 0 0/0
    -
    68 VTY - - - - - 0 0 0/0
    -
    69 VTY - - - - - 0 0 0/0
    -
    70 VTY - - - - - 0 0 0/0
    -

    I discover that the async lines are 33 through 48 by visual
    inspection, therefore I am looking at the NM-16a. No I configure the
    lines:

    line 33 48
    session-timeout 30
    exec-timeout 15 0
    no exec
    transport input all
    flowcontrol hardware

    You can configure each line individually if you have devices that
    don't behave.

    Now comes the tricky part, you have to prepend the interface number
    with a padded zero to connect to the lines. In this example, I am
    looking at a 2620 with an NM-16a installed in the NM slot, 2.
    Therefore my lines can be addressed by prepending 20, so my range is
    now 2033 through 2048.

    Finally, assign local host names to make it easier to connect to your
    terminals (I use loopback0 1.1.1.1 for reverse telnet):

    ip host mux1 2033 1.1.1.1
    ip host mux2 2034 1.1.1.1

    Now you can connect to each device by simply typing the host name. A
    MOTD banner can tell users what host names are configured, as well as
    a friendly reminder to ctrl-shift-6 x and disc when done.

    There are a few exceptions to this procedure, so let me know if this
    doesn't work.

    --Jerome

    jerome benton, May 5, 2004
  4. ak

    ak Guest

    Hi Jerome

    Thanks for your help in this, it is working perfectly now. In the cisco
    docs they say to increase the transport speed to 38400 to support
    telnet!!!!!

    Everything seems to be working on my configured kit.

    Thanks again

    AK

    ak, May 5, 2004
  5. ak

    cisconewbie2

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Identify a cisco module

    I am trying to identify the modules installed in my routers I got from work, can anyone help me out with what they are worth etc, trying to sell not sure what if anything they are worth.
    TIA
    Here is what is on the upperleft corner of each module..for my 3620's
    Async 32A
    PRI
    1CT1-CSU

    Router 2