    different serial ports.

    Thanks
    Tom

    Tom Meier, Jan 2, 2005

  2. Thats actually 8 async serial ports, and 2 sync serial ports. Its
    highly doubtful that you have sync serial ports on any of your linux
    PCs (although you can get them, they tend to be multi-$100 cards, for
    terminating T1 circuits, etc).

    But, yes you should be able to do so. Pushing 8 of those ports all
    through this router, I'd definately limit myself to 38400 baud or so on
    each of the async ports. This ancient device probably won't go any
    faster on those ports anyway.

    Once you have it configed up right, you should be able to do that.

    This router was designed more for slow WAN link connections though. A
    2511 would be a better choice if you had the choice between the
    two. Or even something more modern like a 2610 with an NM-8A or NM-16A.

    Doug McIntyre, Jan 2, 2005

  3. Is it possible to use a Cisco 2522 (with 10 serial ports) to connect
    8 of the 10 are sync/async capable (off a Cirrus Logic Chip) and 2 are sync
    only (Off a Hitachi Chip)

    You can make this a console server, but I think you want the CAB-232FC
    (Female, emulating a DCE) cable).

    It is a tragedy of taxonomy that the Cisco async DTE cables mean "connecting
    to a DTE" and the Cisco sync DTE cables mean "connect, emulating a DTE,"
    which, of course, are exact opposites.

    This is a pretty expensive way to go, unless this is a surplus unit you are
    trying to re-task. If you already have the CAB-232MT, a null modem cable
    should do the job for you rather than getting the special Cisco CAB-232FC
    cable. It matters more for a sync cable that you have the right Cisco cable
    (a DCE cable allows you to source clock). For async, swapping the pins
    around externally should be fine.

    For the record, the Cisco 2522 was originally designed to address the IBM
    market, for cluster controllers and other SDLC/BISYNC devices. The async
    capability was available in the chipset and was enabled to allow the odd
    async devices living nearby of share the network. A Cisco 2511 (2509-12
    series) is really better suited for the pure async environment. Higher
    density, and cheaper cables.

    Phillip Remaker, Jan 2, 2005