    camera with my new digital camera? Or do I have to buy special lenses
    for my digital SLR? I don't have a ton of camera knowledge and
    appreciate your help.

    garga41, Nov 17, 2007

  2. garga41

    dj_nme Guest

    All of your current EOS lenses should work properly if they are Canon brand.
    Some Sigma lenses need to be "rechipped" to function with the latest EOS
    mount cameras.
    The only difference between using your lenses on an EOS 400D compared to
    a Rebel film SLR will be that they seem to be "longer" by 1.6x, ie: your
    50mm lens now seems to be an 80mm lens when used on a 400D.
    This is because the sensor in the 400D is roughly two-thirds the size of
    a 35mm film-frame, the rest of the image is cropped off in-camera.
    Hope that helps.

    dj_nme, Nov 17, 2007

  3. garga41

    Orange Guest

    And the answer is "Yes," in another way too. If you are into legacy
    35mm film camera lenses, you can get adapters that will allow you to
    use quite a variety of old lenses with your new Canon EOS camera. They
    work beautifully, and you can get some great glass inexpensively
    because nobody wants old manual focus lenses. The bottom has pretty
    much dropped out of the market for legacy lenses.

    Nikon, Vivitar, Pentax M42 screw mount, Pentax K, Olympus OM, Contax/
    Yashica, they all work great on a Canon EOS camera. (Alas, the big
    thing that won't work is the old Canon FD lenses. The spacing is
    wrong, and you can't get infinity focus.)

    If you want the Focus Confirmation function to work, you need to get
    an adapter that contains a chip that lies to the camera and tells it
    that you have an electronic lens attached. Then you will get the
    focussing help. There are many such adapters for sale on eBay. (It's a
    shame that Canon won't just give it up and make the Focus Confirmation
    always work with any lens. There is no technical reason that you need
    a chip to lie to the camera for you . It's just corporate policy,
    apparently to encourage you to buy new lenses.)

    Orange, Nov 17, 2007
  4. garga41

    Pete D Guest

    That is really sad!