    I know it is a stupid post because it depends on the photo, but is there a
    'professional' way to analyse whether the photo would have more visual
    impact in B&W as opposed to colour?

    Matt, Nov 22, 2004

  2. Matt

    Pete S. Guest

    Well you don't actually need to "get rid" of the colour. Just save
    with a different name.
    I think it comes down to if you like it or not. Personal preference.

    Pete S.

    Pete S., Nov 22, 2004

  3. Matt

    Pete Guest

    One approach is to ask yourself whether the colors in an image are an
    important part of the message you're trying to communicate. If they are,
    they should stay; if they are not, the image is a candidate for B&W.

    You should also consider where and how your images will be displayed. You
    might find that family photos are expected to be in color, but a serious
    art gallery will expect B&W.

    Sometimes you will have to deal with the fact that contrasting colors don't
    necessarily translate into contrasting grayscale tones. In these cases, a
    simple grayscale conversion will be unsatisfactory, and you will have to
    play around with channel splitting or other tools, in order to get enough
    B&W contrast. In other words, the image might look like it lacks impact in
    B&W, but you can often fix that through manipulation.

    HTH

    Pete

    Pete, Nov 22, 2004
  4. Matt

    JPS Guest

    In message <cntqmo$g0k$>,
    Create an animation where each fades into the other in a loop, and then
    see which one it is that you look forward to seeing. If you can't
    decide, just leave it as an animation.

    JPS, Nov 22, 2004
  5. Matt

    BNE Guest

    Study 1,000 black and white photos of landscapes and portraits, and you will
    understand!

    BNE, Nov 23, 2004
  6. Sometimes I like to make everything but the subject B/W, while leaving the
    main person or thing in the photo in color.

    I'm cheezy like dat, yo.

    Robert J Batina, Nov 23, 2004
  7. Matt

    Sabineellen Guest