Choosing a VoIP provider.....Suggestions ??

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Valentin Guillen, Mar 6, 2008.

  1. I've ordered my ATA, will arrive in days, and am about to install Asterisk
    on a spare junk box.

    I'm researching websites of providers, but am *swamped* by all the
    choices and options.

    1. Some can port my existing Cell number, others can'
    t, but will provide or sell me a number in my Area code.

    2. Some provide inbound/outbound as part of packages; others have
    separate plans for both inbound and outbound.

    3. Some include basic features like call waiting/voicemail/etc with
    packages; others charge for each "feature".

    I've never tried this VoIP before, but I can't afford to keep my cell
    service any longer. I'm looking for advice of any kind from VoIP users
    regarding their experiences, pitfalls, providers, suggestions, tips or
    anything else. I'm starting with an ATA but will probably buy a phone
    soon, like a used Cisco which plugs into ethernet.

    Hope to see replies here soon, so thanks in advance!

    Valentin in the Southwest

    Valentin Guillen, Mar 6, 2008

  2. Valentin Guillen

    blitz Guest