choosing a fiber to ethernet media converter

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by s, Nov 16, 2009.

  1. s

    s Guest

    A new machine in our office has a ethernet adapter for networking
    purposes meaning it cannot directly accept fiber optic which is what
    we have in our office. So, we need a fiber to ethernet converter(which
    can take the fiber optic connection and convert it to Ethernet) such
    as http://www.amazon.com/Allied-Telesy...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1258145889&sr=8-1

    OR

    An adapter which can take the fiber optic connection from the fiber
    optic cable and convert it to ethernet like the Allied Telesyn
    AT-2701FX PCI 100Mb Fiber Ethernet Adapter.

    Question is which one would be more economical? The first option is
    pretty pricey about 175.

    Would the below two products
    http://www.techforless.com/cgi-bin/tech4less/AT-2701FXST-901?mv_pc=amazon_cpc&tts=20091114182400
    and
    http://www.techforless.com/cgi-bin/tech4less/AT-2711FX/SC-901
    work for the second option? Are there any better quality products or
    can I get a less expensive price?

    The fiber optic cables in our office have SC connectors and I guess
    they are singlemode.

    Can someone please advise?

    Thanks

    s, Nov 16, 2009

  2. s

    why? Guest

    Ask your IT department / IT buyer should have ordered the correct parts.
    Go for Allied Telesyn, always use thier stuff where possible. That's the
    type of box we have.
    Yes, both good choices.
    The NIC, or not using the PC :)
    That's ST not SC.
    SC and PCI Express. The previous NIC is PCI.

    Make your mind up, stop mixing bus and SC/ST types.
    Send the PC back, carriage is less expensive ;-)

    Look up the spec of a card currently in use on another PC.
    Why?

    The 901 NIC is MM, so is the other.

    You have to know what the letters in 1000Base<letters> or
    Your IT department.
    Me

    why?, Nov 16, 2009